Question Does the seasonic ss-250su give enough power to my cpu?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Hi, I have a asrock Z97 pro4 with an intel core i5-4670, a gtx 1650 aero 4gb oc itx and m.2 ssd 256gb. And I have many dell psus but theyre poor quality and im afraid theyll fry my medium end stuff. I also got the seasonic ss-250su 80+ bronze. It has enough wattage to power my system, but I was wondering if my cpu will get enough power. The psu only has a 4 pin connector and my motherboard has 8 pins for cpu.

That's a server power supply. It's not meant for use with a desktop board. You need an ATX power supply. And you need something that is more in the 450-550w range for that graphics card.

And don't even think about using those Dell power supplies. Not only are they probably low quality, but they are probably also proprietary for use with Dell systems only. There are only a few Dell branded power supplies that are actually standard ATX form factors.

You need a new PSU.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
That's a server power supply. It's not meant for use with a desktop board. You need an ATX power supply. And you need something that is more in the 450-550w range for that graphics card.

And don't even think about using those Dell power supplies. Not only are they probably low quality, but they are probably also proprietary for use with Dell systems only. There are only a few Dell branded power supplies that are actually standard ATX form factors.

You need a new PSU.

My gpu has a tdp of 75 and the recommended psu for that card is 200 watts so I thought this would do. I know its a server psu, but my setuo doesnt need much power

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
75 card, 84 processor, about 70 for the rest. About 230 watt PC buy a decent 450 watt power supply. I don't know of any that are decent that have less than that.
Will the cx500m succeed? Ive heard a lot of people say it blew up their pc so im scared to use it. Others said its a decent psu with good specs and nice for a budget build.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
You have the green label CX500 that you want to use. That is the one you shouldn't.

A new CX450M is a fine little power supply for light computers.
I know, ive heard it catch on fire and fry other components, but some people say its a good quality psu for medium builds for a cheap price

My gpu has a tdp of 75 and the recommended psu for that card is 200 watts so I thought this would do. I know its a server psu, but my setuo doesnt need much power
No, the recommended "watts" for that card is NOT 200w. It's 380w, for a standard system including the rest of the hardware AND that graphics card.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

However, this does not factor in ANY room for ANY kind of overclocking (Whether manual or factory, and your card is factory overclocked), it does not factor in any headroom for running at 50-70% of capacity so that it runs in it's most efficient zone, nor does it account for any potential spikes. None of which is particularly as important as the fact that that PSU cannot be used with that motherboard without adapters of some kind and using adapters is definitely not recommended except by those who are the same type of people who will run their car on the temporary spare doughnut for months on end when it is only meant to be used to get you directly to a tire shop for replacement. Same people, who it is ill advised to take advice from.

That PSU is not suitable for use with that motherboard under any conditions and that is without factoring in the fact that it simply does not have the correct connectors for an ATX motherboard in the first place. This is not arguable.

You need to get a decent PSU or else you're just wasting your time and money. And it needs to be an ATX standards compliant power supply.

Oh ok, and how about the cx500m?
The CX430, CX500, CX600 and other older CX models that do not have "50" watt increments should not be used as they are known poor quality and have a provable track record of failed protections and damaging other hardware. If you have one, throw it in the trash immediately and do not use it for anything. Seriously.

The newer CX450, 550, 650, these are still budget units which are not terrific, but they are miles better than the older models. The semi modular ones, CX550m, CX650m, these probably fall somewhere in between the older CX and newer CX in terms of platform and quality, but they are not dumpster fire type units and for a low powered system would be totally fine as would that CX450 that was linked to previously.

With a bit of WHAT knowledge? I have a fairly good understanding of electronics, and power supply concepts and fundamentals. Maybe a bit more than just that. I have a few tools around here that I have better than average skills with and a decent understanding of how to use oscilloscopes and similar equipment, so to pretend that I am some greenhorn is kind of BS because I know you know better than that. You might not know all my specifics, but you know I'm not some damn fool.

In light of that, I asked WHERE you got that information from? Assuming that because it's a TUF product from ASUS means it is good quality, seriously makes YOU look like a fool IF you don't have some factual tear down information, and preferably a professional review that includes a full teardown and testing, to back it up with. And if you don't, then I'd suggest you not make outrageous claims like that in the future. Especially considering how often many of these popular "name brand" companies release complete shiest to the market.

For example, recently in fact:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmPUr-BeEM

https://forums.evga.com/PSU-Expert-...ent-on-GPP750850-GM-Design-Flaw-m3449133.aspx

And: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-750-b3-power-supply,5229-11.html

And I can list example after example after example from well known brands that you THINK are reputable, but are in fact only going to invest what they HAVE to invest to sell a product. That includes their top of the line flagship products as well. Now, I'm now saying every product from ASUS or anybody else is not "good". I'm just saying, even the best products could be better IF they were to invest a little more into the design, and I'm certainly saying that brand doesn't make the slightest bit of difference EVER, for ANY hardware product. MODEL is what matters, and only after it's been properly reviewed because nothing can be trusted, until it can.

So making assumptions, if that IS what you've done, and I'm not saying you have, I am, again, just asking, usually results in a bad outcome. And just because a PSU is based on a modern platform does NOT mean it is implented well or is a good example of the execution of that platform. FSP has been the OEM on plenty of models with good platforms that have had very good implentations, and then plenty of models based off the same platform that were not implemented well and were, plainly, crap. So has CWT. So has Great Wall. So has Seasonic, although, mainly through their 3rd party partners. So has everyone else, including Super Flower and just about anybody else you would care to name. If you want to claim a unit is as good or better than some other unit, there had better be some kind of proof, preferably in the form of a professional review with a teardown, to back it up. Otherwise, it's just lip service.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I can't find proof, anywhere for the Asus Tuf being Great Wall, same platform as the CX. All that there is is some reddit posts saying such, but where that info came from originally is unknown. There's No reviews, anywhere. The only thing that could be considered 'proof' to a small extent is the picture on the Asus website of the guts vs the GreatWall/CWT teardown pictures by Aris of the CX.

Which isn't 'proof' of anything except the OEM layout, but says nothing of exactly what's on the board, caps used etc.