Does the Steam Link work with a monitor instead of a TV and a wireless 360 controller vs a Steam Controller?

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Hi people!

I want to use a steam link to stream games to a secondary monitor since our family TV isn't always free. I got the Microsoft wireless xbox adaptor to use our wireless 360 controller on my gaming PC. I want to use the Steam Link as the middle man to stream games to a second monitor so I don't have to have my laptop plugged into the TV and on all the time. It's really slow and the touch pad is broken so it always requires a mouse, etc. Would this combo (Steam Link + Monitor + Wireless 360 Controller) work? The steam link is on sale now hence my question and I already have a wireless controller that supports most games I play anyways.

Many thanks in advance!

Elf_Knight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Thank you! I have a monitor with HDMI and one without HDMI but I can plug the one without HDMI as my primary monitor on my PC (since I have DVI-to-VGA cable adaptor) and then use my monitor with HDMI for the steam link. Only problem is that my non-HDMI monitor is only 720p not true HD unlike my 1080p 24 inch monitor so I will use some graphical fidelity but at least I can play games. Also it will probably be easier to stream games with a lower quality. Just had a quick question: The steam link comes with an Ethernet cable but I can't reach the router hub from where I am and back at college I cannot use Ethernet cables. Can it use a wireless USB dongle or do I need to get the steam wifi dongle? I have extra wifi dongles if necessary.

Many thanks!

According to the same link as above (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9772-WHJM-4676&auth=1d0f856809174bad83b979cae093aa46) "The Link is capable of 802.11ac wireless or wired networking. For the best experience, we recommend using a wired connection."

So you can hook it up to your router with wifi. But as you know, it could be a bit laggy.