Question Does the warranty cover your RTX 4090 dying due to this melting power connector/adapter issue?

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Not just Nvidias but AIBs, or will they just say "it's your fault, you bent the cable too hard" or "you probably overclocked that's why it melted"?

Not just Nvidias but AIBs, or will they just say "it's your fault, you bent the cable too hard" or "you probably overclocked that's why it melted"?
As others have said, it's too early to tell, but my guess is that NVIDIA and the AiB mfgs. will cover it as long as users don't blatantly say something like, "I read that you can't bend the power cables. I was REALLY bending the power cables." ;)
The LAST thing NVIDIA and these AiBs want is bad press for refusing to cover this design flaw under warranty (yes, it's 100% a design flaw). Buildzoid's got a good/funny rambling on it -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkjUtH4nIE

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
As others have said, it's too early to tell, but my guess is that NVIDIA and the AiB mfgs. will cover it as long as users don't blatantly say something like, "I read that you can't bend the power cables. I was REALLY bending the power cables." ;)
The LAST thing NVIDIA and these AiBs want is bad press for refusing to cover this design flaw under warranty (yes, it's 100% a design flaw). Buildzoid's got a good/funny rambling on it -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkjUtH4nIE
Yeah I saw this video, what I came away with, is that this isn't just an adapter issue, even if you have an ATX 3.0 PSU and don't use an adapter this could still happen... Maybe the Cablemod 90 degree adapter will solve it, but I'm also worried that if I use a third party cable and this still happens for some reason they'll just say it's my fault for using a 3rd party cable...

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Yeah I saw this video, what I came away with, is that this isn't just an adapter issue, even if you have an ATX 3.0 PSU and don't use an adapter this could still happen... Maybe the Cablemod 90 degree adapter will solve it, but I'm also worried that if I use a third party cable and this still happens for some reason they'll just say it's my fault for using a 3rd party cable...

I have the same concerns about using a 3rd party cable, I want to run the cable mod connection for peace of mind, but from a warranty standpoint that's an easy loophole for nvidia I may wait and see if Nvidia offers a revised connector with more support.

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
I have the same concerns about using a 3rd party cable, I want to run the cable mod connection for peace of mind, but from a warranty standpoint that's an easy loophole for nvidia I may wait and see if Nvidia offers a revised connector with more support.
I don't even know how that would work, they recall all the cards and then everyone who bought it will have to wait for god knows how long until they get a replacement? Or we just get our money back? It's a huge fiasco

Melted connector is physical damage, and physical damage is always not covered by warranty. Unless you could prove that is was caused not by user fault but by bad design on NVidia side. Which is of course true and we all know this, but knowing this and proving it is another matter.

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Melted connector is physical damage, and physical damage is always not covered by warranty. Unless you could prove that is was caused not by user fault but by bad design on NVidia side. Which is of course true and we all know this, but knowing this and proving it is another matter.
I read an article that the guy who posted the first melted 4090 is now RMAing the card and the article just said "which he has a very good chance of succeeding with", I mean if this does become a widespread issue and people can't even get their cards replaced this is going to turn into an even bigger PR nightmare, imagine 1600$-2000$ down the toilet...

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
I would think unless they had specific instructions that came with the manufacturers adapter then they would have no choice but to cover it. Even if they had instructions saying not to bend the adapter they can't prove you did.
I just got my TUF 4090, read the manual, not a word about not bending the adapter cable