Question Does Thermal Paste have an impact on in-game FPS/Stutters?

Feb 20, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hello forum,

So recently i changed my Thermal Paste on my GTX 1080 GPU with Grizzly kryonaut. I have read tons of posts about this topic, but only posts about "bad temperatures and overheating", which is not my concern since everything is super cool due to AIO cooling (56-60 hot under full load). Btw i have i7-9700K CPU, 16 GB 3200 Ram and 650W PSU to support my GPU.

I have done this procces before and followed JayTwoCents guide again, and used same amount of Thermal Paste as him.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HbCY3-tun0&t=559s

But.. After applying a new layer of Thermal Paste i have noticed a slighety decrease in FPS and some game stuttering, but overall better GPU temperature. So i was wondering if Thermal Paste on GPU has a direct impact on gaming performance (FPS/STUTTERS)? Im not afraid that i have appylied to much Thermal Paste, but not sure if to much can cause fps drops and stutters while gaming.

I know that i could just change the GPUs Thermal Paste, but this would be a pain in the ass since i am happy with the current GPU temperature. Am i overthinking this or is this a known issue? P.S. I have PC OCD haha

Feb 20, 2020
So recently i changed my Thermal Paste on my GTX 1080 GPU with Grizzly kryonaut. I have read tons of posts about this topic, but only posts about "bad temperatures and overheating", which is not my concern since everything is super cool due to AIO cooling (56-60 hot under full load). Btw i have i7-9700K CPU, 16 GB 3200 Ram and 650W PSU to support my GPU.

I have done this procces before and followed JayTwoCents guide again, and used same amount of Thermal Paste as him.

But.. After applying a new layer of Thermal Paste i have noticed a slighety decrease in FPS and some game stuttering, but overall better GPU temperature. So i was wondering if Thermal Paste on GPU has a direct impact on gaming performance (FPS/STUTTERS)? Im not afraid that i have appylied to much Thermal Paste, but not sure if to much can cause fps drops and stutters while gaming.

I know that i could just change the GPUs Thermal Paste, but this would be a pain in the ass since i am happy with the current GPU temperature. Am i overthinking this or is this a known issue? P.S. I have PC OCD haha

Not directly, only if you have heat problems and paste quality is bad.

Feb 20, 2020
All paste does is help transfer heat from one surface to another.
Maybe you should look up the drivers and check background processes.

Ty ty. Thats the kind of anwser i was looking for.

I will try updating drivers and disabling baggrund servises.

Do you have any link to a guide for disabling irrelevant servises?

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Well, basically, if your temperatures going for it maximum on CPU, this gonna make some frequency reset and it's gonna be like macro-lags, but FPS usually not going down, it will stuttering merely

But, can thermal paste cause it? I don't think so, it's just wrong cooler or thermal paste is like cheapest and very very old and solid

Feb 20, 2020
Well, basically, if your temperatures going for it maximum on CPU, this gonna make some frequency reset and it's gonna be like macro-lags, but FPS usually not going down, it will stuttering merely

But, can thermal paste cause it? I don't think so, it's just wrong cooler or thermal paste is like cheapest and very very old and solid

Ty for your response. Micro stutters on a 144hz screen with G-sync is what bothers me the most!