Question Does Thermal throttling cause Stuttering while gaming?

Skydaz

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
So I have an old laptop which is
MSI Ge62 2QF Apache Pro
i7 5700hq
GTX 970m
16gb Ram

While playing Games such as PUBG , I can easily get 60fps (which is good for me) . But this will stutter sometimes. Maybe one time for each game session. But this can be disturbing as hell since PUBG is a competitive game. While playing PUBG , my cpu temperature is about 89-90c constant. FPS around 55-65 High-Mid settings. I wonder, with such high temperature, maybe thermal throttling that cause the stuttering while playing games ? Will thermal throttling make it stutter? It only occur around 1-2 seconds.

I once have tried undervolt my cpu with ThrottleStop, but it become unstable and keep restarting with blue screen around 10 times which makes me think it is dangerous to undervolt. After like 10th restart, it is good as before. But it is not normal for Throttlestop to make my machine restart so many times right?

Cooling solution tried ;
Had replace the thermal paste
Use a thermal vacuum
(Still no temperature different )

Thank you.

Thermal throttling will drop the clocks to a lower tier until the CPU gives the OK for higher clocks,that means that you would get lower FPS for a few seconds or longer but stutter is something else.

Usually it comes down to something else in the background accessing storage or memory causing the stutter.

Skydaz

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Thermal throttling will drop the clocks to a lower tier until the CPU gives the OK for higher clocks,that means that you would get lower FPS for a few seconds or longer but stutter is something else.

Usually it comes down to something else in the background accessing storage or memory causing the stutter.
Does hard disk/ssd/hdd play a big role to prevent stuttering? bcause currently I am using HDD from an external Hard disk from Toshiba Canvio 1tB. I dont think it were meant to be in a laptop , maybe for external use only perhaps? This laptop ship with 7200rpm disk but had been taken out by the previous owner. So right now i just use hdd frpm external hard disk (Toshiba Canvio 1TB) which has 5200rpm

Does hard disk/ssd/hdd play a big role to prevent stuttering? bcause currently I am using HDD from an external Hard disk from Toshiba Canvio 1tB. I dont think it were meant to be in a laptop , maybe for external use only perhaps? This laptop ship with 7200rpm disk but had been taken out by the previous owner. So right now i just use hdd frpm external hard disk (Toshiba Canvio 1TB) which has 5200rpm
It's not that much about the disk,although 5200 is quite a slow drive,it's about other apps accessing the drive while the game has to access the drive,when that happens the access speed of the drive drops like crazy.