Does this benchmark exist?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I was thinking about i5 8600k vs ryzen 5 2600 and how the i5 typically wins out a little on most games, but what if there was a benchmark that did more than just gaming? I dont recall seeing any thay compare gaming plus streaming and/or recording. I wonder if the results would be affected much. Would the fps drop or the stream start to struggle. Would the ryzen win more now since it has the threads the i5 does not?

I have only seen this with the ryzen 7, threadripper and i7/9

Solution
There are a hand full that compare the i7 7 series to the first gen ryzen in streaming and gaming but you will need to look them up. The new thing is if you are running multiple apps that are lightly threaded (bots, chats for streaming), then a heaver streaming software (OBS or others), and a game that uses more than just 2-3 threads, you go with Ryzen, if not either will be good.

So light streaming and gaming, intel. Streaming, gaming and other work, Ryzen.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
There are a hand full that compare the i7 7 series to the first gen ryzen in streaming and gaming but you will need to look them up. The new thing is if you are running multiple apps that are lightly threaded (bots, chats for streaming), then a heaver streaming software (OBS or others), and a game that uses more than just 2-3 threads, you go with Ryzen, if not either will be good.

So light streaming and gaming, intel. Streaming, gaming and other work, Ryzen.

Solution
The only really good benchmark would be running YOUR workload.
More or less, the 8600K vs. ryzen 5 2600 will be comparable performance.
Both are very good.

Shortly, the I5-9600K should launch and the overclocking potential is expected to be even better.
I think the I7-9700K 8 core(no hyperthreading) is going to be the processor of choice for both gamers and streamers.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
It's going to be interesting, I don't know at that price point for the 9700k. Ryzen is going to give intel a some good competition against that for the price.

Did a bit of searching and found a good comparison on streaming and gaming with the i5 8600k, i7 and ryzen 5 /7. The 8600k fails hard when it comes to doing both without frame caps. It would be interesting to see a comparison at 60fps cap on AAA games. Are two more cores going to make all that up?

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3288-amd-r5-2600-2600x-review-stream-benchmarks-gaming-blender

9700K looks to be priced similar to the 8700K.
Of course, the no holds barred i9-9900K @ is going to be in the $500 range.
A top chip will get early adopter price gouging.
Here is one report:
https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-9900k-and-core-i7-9700k-cpu-price-leak/

The question for YOU is what do I really need and how comfortable am I with my budget.
I think it will pay to see what the actual benchmarks of the 9th gen processors say.
No doubt, Intel has been hurt by ryzen and many threads. This is their short term response to avoid losing market share.
In particular, see what the OC potential will be.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017

I think gamer nexus did this test on his youtube channel.

TRENDING THREADS