Does this budget build have a good ability to be upgraded and will it meet my needs?

Apr 9, 2018
Build in question:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/redro_guy/saved/hFQ4CJ

Will this build be easily upgrade-able in the future? If not what parts should be changed? I've selected the 1050 Ti because I figure I'll upgrade when GPU prices come back down to normal, which could be a few months of course. I'm really just looking for 900p 60fps gaming on high (not ultra, yet) settings on modern AAA games (Battlefield 1, GTA V etc.)

So can this PC get the performance I'm looking for?

Also, in the future I think I'd like to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1600 and a 1060, can I do that with this PC?

No, this is not a good build for future upgrades. You cannot upgrade to a Ryzen 1600 with this build because you have selected an Intel CPU and chipset. Additionally, the G4560 is a good budget CPU, but in CPU heavy games, such as BF1, it will struggle to get the fps you are trying to achieve.

Right now, Intel has the lead in CPU performance when it comes to gaming. So I would look at the 8100 for a good budget CPU as it is a true quad core. The B360 chipset has been released for the 8100 making it cheaper to build. I replaced the PSU selected to a better PSU as well.

You wont be able to drop a 1600 in this system either, but you could always move up to a 8400, 8600, or 8700 on the same motherboard.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xGG6RJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xGG6RJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($113.74 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($67.66 @ Amazon)
Memory: ADATA - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($209.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $700.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-16 10:15 EDT-0400

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

Contrary to an earlier reply this does actually have a very good upgrade path. In the future you could choose t upgrade to any compatible i3,i5 or i7 CPU and receive very good frame rate increases with each CPU. The 1050ti is actually a decent budget GPU. Don't underestimate the g4560 CPU. Despite it being a budget CPU with 2 cores and 4 threads it can hold its own in many games. The only thing that I can agree with "feelingfroggy777" is the fact that some games may need a little tweaking to get the 60fps+ range you desire. You will definitely be able to achieve it with tweaks to Anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion and shadows. It's all a case of who you want to trust/believe more on this one. I recommend going to you tube to look at pairings of these components to get an idea of what performance you will receive. You won't be able to switch to a Ryzen CPU in the future unless you change the motherboard to an AMD Ryzen compatible motherboard. All I can do is offer my knowledge which is that you will be able to achieve 60fps especially at 900p which is lower than what that GPU is targeted for.

Apr 9, 2018

How about this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/redro_guy/saved/RR2d6h

Slightly stronger CPU plus better chipset but it costs a little bit more. Is this going to do what I want and will it be upgrade-able later down the line?

Apr 9, 2018

So I can upgrade the CPU to Intel instead of Ryzen, that's fine by me. And I'm guessing I can also upgrade to the 1060? If so this seems like a smart choice for me because I want a budget build now that I can upgrade later when prices are more reasonable. What do you think?

Also between the LGA1151 and AM4, which one will allow for more upgrading in the future? Is one more 'future-proof' then the other? Thanks!

Here is my stock answer for a budget build;
take from it what you will.

------------------------------ budget build ---------------------------
For a budget gaming build, I like to recommend that one builds for future expandability.
That means paying a bit more up front for some parts that allow for an easier future upgrade.
A good rule of thumb is to budget twice as much for the graphics card than for the cpu.

Let me start where you might not expect:

1. Buy a good 450-550w psu or better. A quality 450w will run a card as good as a GTX1060 or possibly a GTX1070
Future graphics cards will be built on smaller 14nm so they should not need more power than today.
Look for a tier 1 or 2 quality unit on a list such as this:
https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/t/45344.aspx?Redirected=true
Seasonic is always good I particularly like the seasonic focus line:
This 550w unit is often on sale.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151203

2. Buy a lga1151 Z370 based motherboard. About $100.
Do not begrudge paying a bit more now forZ370 which enables the upgrade to much stronger K suffix processors.

3. I suggest a I3-8100 About $120.
In time, you can upgrade to any 8th gen I3/I5/I7 cpu that you want and market the original processor.

4. The intel stock cooler will do the job.

5. For ram, speed is not important. Buy a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb DDR4
About $90. If you ever want 16gb, buy it up front in one kit; adding more ram is never guaranteed to work.
Heat spreaders are marketing and generally useless.

6. Cases are a personal thing. Buy one you love. Most will do the job for <$50.
Here is a silverstone PS08 for $50; It fits a smallar M-ATX motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163223

7. The graphics card is the most important component for gaming.
I think a GTX1050 or GTX1050ti would be appropriate, plan on $120-$150.
You could go stronger in the video card if your budget permits and your games need it.
I like EVGA as a brand. They have a 90 day trade up program if you find you need something stronger. Read the fine print on the program.

On the other hand, you could build using the integrated 630 graphics which is quite good and see how you do.
By deferring on the graphics card, you will get a better idea of what you really need.
Integrated is fine for sims, but not fast action games.

8. Lastly, I will never build again without a SSD for the "C" drive. It makes everything you do so much quicker.
Buy a samsung evo of 240gb or better; about $90.

I think this totals about $600.
-------------good luck------------

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

yes you can upgrade to any other Intel CPU that is compatible with that socket type of the motherboad. Best to cross that bridge when you come to it in the future. You can upgrade to literally any GPU that you feel like...however you options will be limtied due to the smaller size PSU you have selected. I recommend a 550w + PSU. Corsair RM/RMx/CXM series are pretty good or EVGA PSU's are also generally quite well made. Ensure that the PSU you select is AT LEAST 80+ bronze rated and look at some reviews online of it. You don't want to cheap out on the PSU.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

I agree with pretty much most of this except the fact that an I3-8100 would be better. In general it's a little stronger but he would be paying more upfront for something that he would upgrade anyway. Second is the fact that the iGPU just is not enough horsepower for what he wants (as stated in the original post). Once other thing is that I strongly disagree with straight buys to the Z370 chipsets as I recommend people buy what they need not everything they could ever want. Since the OP is on here asking for compatibility advice I'm willing to bet he/she has no clue about overclocking therefore it would be redundant and they could save a little cash by buying just what they need.

Apr 9, 2018

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm unable to find a 1050 Ti for any less than $200 so all in all when I took your advice I came out to about $100 over the build I listed. What I really would like to know is if I can upgrade my planned build as well as the one you have. Any thoughts?

Apr 9, 2018

Hey thanks. As far as LGA1151 vs AM4 goes, which is better? I don't want to have to start over with a whole new motherboard any time soon (like in the next 2-3 years at least).

The 8100 is about 20% faster than the 1200

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-8100-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-1200/3942vs3931

The 8100 is about 40% faster than the g4560

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-G4560-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8100/3892vs3942

Really, it is not even close when you compare those CPUs. The 8100 is the perfect budget gaming CPU. I would avoid the b250 chipset of you chose for the G4560 because they will not make any more CPUs that will work with that chipset. If future proof is your goal, then don't get a b250/z270 chipset. The z370/b360 chipset was recently released and is the most current chipset available from Intel. It will last longer than the z250 chipset, because it is newer.

The AM4 chipset will be supported by AMD for several more years. So if you go with an AMD CPU on a b350 motherboard, you can upgrade to a new AMD CPU later and drop it in the same motherboard.

But, AMD is behind Intel when it comes to gaming, even more so when you drop resolution to say 900p. When you drop resolution it moves the bottleneck from the GPU to the CPU, therefore, the CPU will have to work even harder. I would go with the b360 motherboard and 8100. It will give you the best performance today and you will be able to move up into a better 8th gen Intel CPU at a later date.

In the end the platform upgrade we are talking about here is $50-70 bucks. You are looking at a budget motherboard, so I would not worry about what a $50 motherboard will be compatible with in 2-3 years. If it was a $300 motherboard, then I would look at it a little different. But if in 3 years you are ready to get a new CPU, for the cost of less than a AAA game you can get a compatible motherboard.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

No real definitive answer to that. both have slight difference in features but ultimately its whatever fits your budget and needs the most. As far as your knowledge goes for the moment, both platforms will provide you with many features that you will never need. Most features can be found on both platforms and ultimately they will provide you will all the features you need. The only time you need to take a look at the features provided by both platforms is if you plan on getting advanced with the configuration of your builds or the hardware within the builds or if you just fancy researching and learning however I only provide information that helps the people that I talk with rather than throwing everything at them. I hope this answered your question.

You listed two builds, a ryzen 1200 and a G4560 build.

I do not much like ryzen for a gaming build.
I think that is what you are looking for.

Ryzen is good for many threads, starting with 4 for the 1200 going up to 16.
But all of the threads top out after overclocking around 4.0, less for the 1200.
It is the single thread speed that most games need. It is unusual for a game to make effective use of more than 4 threads.

a 450w psu will not let you upgrade your graphics card significantly.
Here is a chart for psu requirements:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

On the 4560 build, I think that is more reasonable.
But, if you need to shave off some cost from my suggestion, here are some thoughts:

1. Defer on the graphics card. Prices are high now because of mining.
Integrated HD630 is worth a try first.
2. The 4 thread G5400 is $70. It is new, and a bit stronger than the G4600 which has a passmark rating of 5218 and a single thread rating of 2057. The single thread rating is most important for gamers.
By comparison, the 4 thread 1200 has a rating of 6802/1728 and costs about $95.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

1050/1050ti has been pretty much unaffected by the bitcoin craze. They won't be dropping price until the new generation of GPU's are released. The iGPU is worth a try for a bit of fun but no where near what the OP needs for the games he/she plays.

At some point in time, the bitcoin bubble is going to burst.
I would expect to see a goodly number of high end graphics cards flood the market, depressing the price of all cards, new and old.
Who knows when that will happen.

In the mean time, the OP can get started with HD630 graphics.
When the time comes to buy a discrete card, he can buy some time with a EVGA card that can be upgraded within 90 days.

1050/1050ti has been pretty much unaffected by the bitcoin craze.

That is not true. The MSRP for the 1050 was $109 and the MSRP for the 1050ti was $139. Two years later and you cant get a 1050ti cheaper than $200.

While the 1050/1050ti are not very good cards for mining, the GPU shortage has driven up prices across the board. Even the 1030 prices have a 50% increase over MSRP since their release.

shanetemple14

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014

That may be the case where you are. Over here in England the prices are the same as launch.