Does this configuration make sense?

calvertnr

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I am trying to configure a desktop that can run my architecture software. We're required to run Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, and Creative Suite. I am still new to configuring custom PCs like this. I have done a level of my own research, but I know I still need a more informed opinion of this configuration before I buy it. Any suggestions, warnings, comments, or criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Here is my configuration as of now:

CASE:Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 4x SATA Hot-Swap Drive Bays & Side-Panel Window

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

FAN:CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)

COOLANT:High-Performance Coolant powered by Koolance

HDD:120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write

HDD2:3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

FAN_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System (1 x Systems)

MEMORY:32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory

MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GIGABYTE X79 G1 Assassin 2 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Creative 20K2 HD Audio, Killer E2100 LAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

POWERSUPPLY: 1300 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 80 Plus Gold Power Supply (80+ Gold)

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked)

CARE:Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation

CARE:professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System

On the configuration: I am new to liquid cooling, so if anyone knows how that specific system works or has a better solution, I am all ears. The CPU and GPU will be overclocked. I am leaving extra room on my wattage to accommodate adding another graphics card later. I am considering Corsair Vengeance for the RAM. My main concern with the system is overheating, since the system will be running at high capacity for 24+ hours at times and daily for 8 hour periods.

Once again I am still new to configuring a system on this level, and am also new to the forum. So I apologize in advance if I failed to follow the Rules of Conduct. Any help is appreciated. I plan on buying the system in the next few days.

Also, I'm considering buying the system without an os and installing it myself since I can get Windows 7 Professional cheaper as a student. Thoughts?

jboots21

Honorable
May 25, 2012
I won't be any help on the components as what you're building is way over my head. However, I would absolutely recommend buying without the OS and buying it through your school. It's way cheaper and it's quite easy to install! Good luck with the build!

angaddev

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
If you are using it for just cad/architecture you don't need liquid cooling. If you are not going to play games much or at all, consider these gpus:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195106
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133272

Also, consider making your own computer instead of cyberpower, so you know what goes in, you have more choice, and it'l be cheaper. Trust me, I just turned 13 and I have built my own computer, running well since new years.

calvertnr

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
i don't want AMD for the GPU, that's just personal preference. I don't want to go with the Quadro because I don't want to limit myself to only cad. I originally thought I was going to build my own, but according to pcpartpicker buying the hardware was gonna cost around $3200. Right now on cyberpower I can get this configuration for around $3500 (with a quick google search for coupon codes). Considering I have never built a pc before, I am required to having it working in two months, and i am currently working 40 hour weeks (to pay for this thing) I decided to let the people with the right tools and expertise handle it.

calvertnr

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
One day I'll make that jump haha. I am going to get liquid cooling, just to quell my fears. The last thing I need is my computer overheating the night before a project is due. There are times I work on a project for 30 hours straight. Plus I know I'll be upgrading in the future and playing games during the summer, so it'll be a nice thing to have already.

Does anyone know how that liquid cooling system compares to others? Any other parts or add-ons I should consider?

Also, would that power supply be able to handle 3 way SLI with three of those GPUs?