Question Does this Intel 8700T 1.6GHz from China seem fake?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I actually have no doubt it is perfectly real however:

The CPU is ES version (Engineering Sample), will not show the exact model number with CPU-Z software or other CPU test software.
But other parameters will be correctly showed on the software.
Low TDP, low calorific value, be perfect for HTPC, mini PC or fanless computer
The selling of this kind of processor is illegal, as the processor is still technically owned by Intel.
Engineering Samples are pre-production processors that are loaned out to businesses from Intel for trailing and testing purposes. That and they are naturally buggy due to the fact they are pre-production.

You could get yourself in legal trouble for owning one also. Intel have prosecuted previously.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005719/processors.html

Last edited:

lionhart3001

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I bought it purely to be used as a 24/7 server as the TDP was the lowest I could find for the spec. Was worried about using a fake and didn't want to burn my house down.

Thanks for the warning regarding the legality of these chips - I never knew about them.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I bought it purely to be used as a 24/7 server as the TDP was the lowest I could find for the spec. Was worried about using a fake and didn't want to burn my house down.

Thanks for the warning regarding the legality of these chips - I never knew about them.
Well you are technically supposed to report any ES sample chips, and you should contact the seller to let them know. As you have ultimately bought something that has been sold illegally - it should not be used by any general public or for use in actual used systems (outside of testing etc.).

You could potentially find yourself in trouble having this processor, they put more onus on the seller, but you could find yourself in trouble also.
Not only the legality but they are naturally unstable as they are not full production processors, so lots of changes would have been made post the release of the ES chips.

For the record, I have also reported the eBay seller.