[SOLVED] Does this look good?

KeithK2006

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
I've made LOADS of changes with the pc I'm planning on building and I think I've finally decided on it.
Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/pJGPwh
I chose the 10600k over the 3700x as I was told it outperforms the 3700x in most games (Plus its cheaper) I also ditched the 2080 super as it's probably not worth the extra money for a slight frame increase.
I was just wondering if everything in the build looks compatible and if I made any stupid decisions xd
thanks

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution
"I play at 1080 144hz."
1 point for Intel.

"I wanna have the freedom to max them out without dropping frames to unplayable."
It looks like you are able to pair either with a 2070 Super, at least... 1 point to each.

Looks like Intel wins here, 2 to 1.

I could spend that money on something like a 3800x or even 3900x though those might require better cooling
Or just hold on to that money until RTX 3000 launches, try to sell the 20 series gpu, and then buy the new one?

Neither of those cpus is that desperate for cooling, as opposed to their Intel competitors, but they are too much for the Wraith Prism coolers they ship with.
Both of those could be cooled on a 240mm AIO/CLC, or a NH-U14S.
10600K: should be fine with a 240mm, up...
I've made LOADS of changes with the pc I'm planning on building and I think I've finally decided on it.
I chose the 10600k over the 3700x as I was told it outperforms the 3700x in most games (Plus its cheaper) I also ditched the 2080 super as it's probably not worth the extra money for a slight frame increase.
I was just wondering if everything in the build looks compatible and if I made any stupid decisions xd
thanks
thats a very nice build.Enjoy it

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
thanks
If your planning on mounting that rad in the front of the case it's going to be very tight.
If you look at my PC below my video card is shorter with 140mm fans mounted in the front and their not much room left.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.techradar.com/news/rtx-3080
i just searched rtx 30xx idk like 1 week ago so i remembered i read this thing so thats why i said it.Many things could have changed by then so i dont know when is the real release date and price.
Negative, it's all still speculation; second-guessing. It didn't actually come from the horse's mouth.

If your planning on mounting that rad in the front of the case it's going to be very tight.
If you look at my PC below my video card is shorter with 140mm fans mounted in the front and their not much room left.
Huh? Then what's this?
Meshify-C-TGL_18-810x810.jpg

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Negative, it's all still speculation; second-guessing. It didn't actually come from the horse's mouth.

Huh? Then what's this?
Meshify-C-TGL_18-810x810.jpg
Room for the video card to fit if he installs the rad in the front. Not the rad actually mounting in the front.

23mm longer video card and add the 27mm radiator it will be very close. When I get home I will measure how much room is left.

Look at the pick of my PC my card is shorter and no rad in the front .

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
315mm of gpu clearance with a 25mm fan mounted.
That gpu is 302mm.
That CLCs is 27mm thick.
Technically speaking, that's a no-go in the front, but the radiator can easily be fitted up top(40mm limit), unless something else was overlooked?

KeithK2006

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
So it turns out that getting the 3700x would drop the cost overall since the motherboard is a lot cheaper along with the cooling. I seriously don't know weather to pick intel or amd xd. If I were to choose amd I would have a bit of spare money which I can use to upgrade the cpu. In that case which ryzen cpu should I get?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's going to depend on kind of games you play and your game settings.
Intel may be the King of Games, but that comes at a price premium... there are games that actually prefer AMD:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGWijdBDvM

The performance gap between the 10600K and 3700X narrows as you go down in gpu tier - thus my response in your last thread, but it was countered with the 2080 Super not really offering much more for the price increase - but to counter that, the new cards are expected later this year...
The performance gap also narrows at higher resolutions - 'cause more gpu bound, DUH.
1080p and lower: 10600K and the strongest gpu solution you can afford.
1440p and up: 3700X and the strongest gpu solution you can afford.

KeithK2006

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
I play at 1080 144hz. For games settings, I wanna have the freedom to max them out without dropping frames to unplayable. In the video you linked the 3700x had well over 144 frames with a 2060 super plus I can get it for around 200$ cheaper when I account for the cooler and motherboard. I could spend that money on something like a 3800x or even 3900x though those might require better cooling

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"I play at 1080 144hz."
1 point for Intel.

"I wanna have the freedom to max them out without dropping frames to unplayable."
It looks like you are able to pair either with a 2070 Super, at least... 1 point to each.

Looks like Intel wins here, 2 to 1.

I could spend that money on something like a 3800x or even 3900x though those might require better cooling
Or just hold on to that money until RTX 3000 launches, try to sell the 20 series gpu, and then buy the new one?

Neither of those cpus is that desperate for cooling, as opposed to their Intel competitors, but they are too much for the Wraith Prism coolers they ship with.
Both of those could be cooled on a 240mm AIO/CLC, or a NH-U14S.
10600K: should be fine with a 240mm, up until a high overclock.
10700K: yeah, wouldn't recommend that even for stock...

Solution

KeithK2006

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
That's probably a smart choice to save that money for the 3000 series plus the 3700x (I think) would benefit for some light streaming that I plan on doing :D
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3800x is a waste of money anyway, it's nothing more than a slightly better binned 3700x, gets almost identical frame rates and jumps power usage up for no real reason. AMD could drop it from their line up and nobody would miss it except the poor ppl who fell for the 'next level up' hype and paid extra for nada.

Same really for the 2080S, at 1440p it averages @ 10fps more. For $200 extra price. You can't see any differences at all, only a benchmark can. Step up from a 2070S is a 2080ti realistically.

Some things are simply good enough, the next step up don't change that enough to be worth it.

TRENDING THREADS