Does this look like a good buy... or am I missing something?!

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
Hi. I am looking for a case to house my new build. I want a "gaming" case (i.e. good airflow, ideally 3 front fans) on a smaller budget. Most I have seen are like the Corsair Crystal for around €130-€180... but last night I found this site Alternate (which I don't know) which has a Thermaltake Versa J25 for only €85.

This LOOKS like a really good deal, Thermaltake being a known brand and not one of those ultra cheap Chinese knock-offs, but is it?! Am I missing something here or should I get this? I would really appreciate any thoughts on this one.

https://www.alternate.co.uk/Thermaltake/Versa-J25-TG-RGB-computer-case-Midi-Tower-Black-Tower-casing/html/product/1474829

Thanks!

The Front pannel is blocked by these acrylic "window".
The holes on the side of it look big enough to pull a lot air through it but it depends on how close the fans are to the arcylic.
If you want airflow i always like to recommend the Meshify C

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

Wow... £56?! Now I am genuinely concerned about the build/fan quality :(
I don't want to get something awful either.

Yeah I was a little concerned about the front panel as well, I am not sure if it is one molded piece (acrylic and metal grills) or whether the acrylic could be removed. Or whether the whole thing can be removed.

I looked into the Meshify C already, and whilst a very nice case for only €99 it only comes with 2 fans included... getting two extra fans from the adds another €30-€40 to the price, which is a lot more obviously. Which is getting close to the €150 of things like the Crystal I mentioned at the start.

I thought this Thermaltake looked too good to be true, I'm guessing it probably is then :(

Thanks for the help, guys.

Edit - Did just find this (idiot I am) the J24 which has grilled rather than acrylic front... could be much better. I still wonder if this case is going to be have rly noisy fans or something.

https://www.alternate.fr/Thermaltake/Versa-J24-TG-RGB-Ch%C3%A2ssis-mini-tour/html/product/1474828

Looks good to me :D
If the fans are noisy at high RPM you should always be able to adjust the Fan Curve so they dont go to full speed that fast. Other option are little 5V / 7V adapter so they always run on 5 or 7 Volt instead of 12.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

Actually that is a really interesting idea, I never thought of that... is it actually possible to get a variable adapter I could put between the fans and the mobo?

My current case actually has a system like that built into it I believe, I have a 3-way switch which changes speed from slow mid to fast, which (now you've said it) I think could just be changing 5-7 or 12 volt supply. If I can get a little switchable adapter I could basically rig up exactly the same thing, no?