Question Does this monitor even have a video port? (Please help)

Otodus

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
I have NO clue how to get video onto this old Motorola monitor I got not too long ago. I got it with an IBM 5150 (which may or may not have parts taken, I'm not too sure, but the IBM didn't have any recognizable video port either). The Motorola TM3220/TM3180 has only 4 ports. The first is a standard power cable plug, second is a printer port, third is a "host" port which I can only guess is the video port but I have no clue what cable to buy as it's identical to the printer port, and finally (oddly) a keyboard port which makes it feel almost like an all in one. If somebody can help teach me about this and what I need, I would be greatful! Thank you!

Hi

It looks like you have a Computer Terminal not a PC screen
It connects to a RS232 serial port on the back of something like a Unix system box.

(the 25 pin connector is the RS232 default connector. Latter AT PC's used a 9 pin connector but Modems & Terminals & Printers continued to use the 25 pin connector)

It can only display characters on the screen. (80 x 25? resolution)
It is only useful to donate to a computer museum

In the dim and distant past when the i486 cpu was popular my employer had a unix system with a 32 port RS232 adapter to connect a collection of 486 PCs running a VT100 Terminal Emulator program and Wyse 60 Terminals to access a database running on the Unix system.

regards
Mike Barnes

Reactions: Otodus

Otodus

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Hi

It looks like you have a Computer Terminal not a PC screen
It connects to a RS232 serial port on the back of something like a Unix system box.

(the 25 pin connector is the RS232 default connector. Latter AT PC's used a 9 pin connector but Modems & Terminals & Printers continued to use the 25 pin connector)

It can only display characters on the screen. (80 x 25? resolution)
It is only useful to donate to a computer museum

In the dim and distant past when the i486 cpu was popular my employer had a unix system with a 32 port RS232 adapter to connect a collection of 486 PCs running a VT100 Terminal Emulator program and Wyse 60 Terminals to access a database running on the Unix system.

regards
Mike Barnes

Thank you SO much for the insight. Hopefully it's rare enough to being worth quite a bit, not to mention it came with a Motorola Keyboard. One other thing I wanted to ask was why both the terminal and the IBM had their own keyboard if they connected into only each other? If you know why, let me know, otherwise thank you again for the info!

The Motorola by itself cant do anything, it is a dumb terminal connected over RS/232 to another computer. And if your IBM ran multi-user system (sorry for typo) like CP/M or Xenix, several uses could use it - one using the computer itself, with its own keyboard and video-monitor, others connected over serial line with terminals like your Motorola.

If you want to explore further - put this Motorola aside, and see what you can do with that IBM.

Reactions: Otodus