Question Does this motherboard come with more PCIe lanes than the pre-installed processor can use?

Dec 28, 2022
I was looking at this mining motherboard, with numerous Slots for GPUs and such. (It has eight PCI slots.)

0W0d5Sl.png

Alas, the processor is advertised as a Celeron 1037U. If you look it up, you will find:
  • PCI Express Revision 2.0
  • PCI Express Configurations ‡ 1x16, 2x8, 1x8 & 2x4
  • Max # of PCI Express Lanes 16
And so this doesn't seem like there are enough lanes here to actually service all those ports.

(I know this processor is ancient, I'm just looking for a life support system for some graphics cards.)

Could someone please be so kind as to explain what's going on? Are there any actual good uses for this board?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
First off, there's no image. We don't host images here, so nobody knows what motherboard you have.

Second, what do you mean by a "life support system" for graphics cards? I've never heard that term used in a PC context and I don't understand how the common meaning of that term has any applicability here. GPUs run fine after being unused and stored; they don't need a life support system to stay functional.

Third, are you sure this is the CPU? That's a mobile CPU that's for a BGA socket, meaning there's some serious high-grade professional soldering skills involved in its use. Is that what you're doing?

Fourth, what is the relevance of the chipset here? It may come down to exactly what you mean by "life support system," but I can't imagine any use of these ancient parts that would involve knowing the exact lane configuration of the PCIE resources. And, in any case, we'd have to know the answers to the first and third questions anyway.

In other words, there's a lot of clarification and additional information needed to give anything approaching a useful answer to this query.

Dec 28, 2022
I'm saying all of my processing would take place on graphics cards. I don't really understand, how for mining for example, running at 4x instead of 16x would effect the speed of the cards. (This is a general question.) Does it depend on how long the GPU mulls over the load vs sending data back and fourth? Can I measure this?

Also, dunno what went wrong with the image. I'm trying to use this as an avenue for general questions, so something like this board.

Thanks, by the way. I'm trying to better myself so I can use good judgement on a cost-efficient system for some GPU processing.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm saying all of my processing would take place on graphics cards. I don't really understand, how for mining for example, running at 4x instead of 16x would effect the speed of the cards. (This is a general question.) Does it depend on how long the GPU mulls over the load vs sending data back and fourth? Can I measure this?

Also, dunno what went wrong with the image. I'm trying to use this as an avenue for general questions, so something like this board.

Thanks, by the way. I'm trying to better myself so I can use good judgement on a cost-efficient system for some GPU processing.

What processing? Are you mining? It's not at all clear exactly what you're trying to do. If mining, you're years too late for this approach to do much for you.