[SOLVED] Does this office PC need a dGPU?

Oct 21, 2020
Hey,
I want to replace my old monitor (Eizo Flexscan L778) with an UltraWide 35" LG Monitor (35WN65C-B) 3440 x 1440 @ 100Hz. I am using this monitor in combination with an office PC, that I am using for office work like browsing the web, tax programs, excel, word, etc.

Current Specs of my PC:
MB: ASUS Z170P
CPU: Intel Core i3-7100

The Motherboard ist only able to push 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz via HDMI, but the integrated graphics chip of the CPU is able to push 4096x2304@60Hz via Displayport. Unfortunately there is no Displayport on my motherboard.

Question:
Should I add a GPU to my system to achieve 100 FPS for 3440 x 1440 or should I buy a new Motherboard, that supports my CPU and offers Displayport?
If I should buy a GPU, which GPU is reasonable to push 100 FPS for 3440 x 1440?

I know that office work really does not require 100 FPS, but let's just assume, that I really need it. ^^
I guess that office programs are pretty lightweight, but which GPU to pick for lightweight office task isn't that easy for me. -,-

Hope you can help me out.
DezzardHD

Solution
I built a desktop pc for my son using a lg ultrawide monitor.
Testing, the lga1200 motherboard integrated graphics was not able to do 60hz, but was able to do 60 if connected via displayport. He had only a hdmi cable so I had him buy a displayport cable.
I felt that running at 30hz was not good, but 60hz was perfectly fine.
I would definitely try for 60hz. I am not so certain about the value of more.

Regardless, I think your best option would be to buy a discrete graphics card.
I run a 4k monitor at 60hz using an older EVGA GTX750 card.

Replacing a motherboard will be costly and perhaps messy.
Since they are not made anymore, there might be a higher than normal cost to replace.

You could consider replacing the i3-7100 with a...
Oct 21, 2020
IMO, ZERO reason to upgrade anything. Looking at static pages of text at 24 or 100hz is going to be the same, if that is your only use case.
OK. I might downgrade from 100Hz to 75 Hz, nevertheless I am curious which GPU to choose for that.
Doing office work at 25 FPS over an extended period of time is something I really do not like at all. So please focus on answering my question. Thanks!

EDIT: OK. nvmd. You did answer my question kind of.
But I actually want to know, how to get the frames per second by choosing the correct dGPU.

Last edited:
I built a desktop pc for my son using a lg ultrawide monitor.
Testing, the lga1200 motherboard integrated graphics was not able to do 60hz, but was able to do 60 if connected via displayport. He had only a hdmi cable so I had him buy a displayport cable.
I felt that running at 30hz was not good, but 60hz was perfectly fine.
I would definitely try for 60hz. I am not so certain about the value of more.

Regardless, I think your best option would be to buy a discrete graphics card.
I run a 4k monitor at 60hz using an older EVGA GTX750 card.

Replacing a motherboard will be costly and perhaps messy.
Since they are not made anymore, there might be a higher than normal cost to replace.

You could consider replacing the i3-7100 with a stronger i3-10100 and aLGA1200 motherboard .
Here is what I used:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157948?Item=N82E16813157948

Solution