[SOLVED] Does this psu provide enough power?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Psu: cx500m 500watts
Specs: intel core 2 quad q8300
An asus mini atx motherboard
R9 280x
2*4gb ddr 3 ram
2 fans
A case with 2 dvd roms
120gb ssd kingston
500gb wd blue 7200rpm
2tb wd green 5200 rpm

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
it'll be fine. that system won't pull more than 400w so long as you don't try to oc it to the max. at stock it'll be good enough. but if you do plan on oc'ing it, then more power is needed. i'd start at 650w minimum for an oc'ed system with those specs.
I wont oc it, maybe after I downloaded an app to roughly calculate my wattage consumption and see that I have 50-100 watt left ill slightly oc my cpu or gpu. Just to get better fps on games. I dont even think I should oc my r9 cuz it already performs pretty good. If my friend gives me the gtx 650 2gb I have more then enough power and ill def oc it

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
Wattage wise 500w is fine.

However the old green label cx500m units are not very good quality and pose a pretty high failure risk.
It waa
Wattage wise 500w is fine.

However the old green label cx500m units are not very good quality and pose a pretty high failure risk.
It was 10 bux at my local supermarket and I heard corsair is a good company so I thought it would be a splendid investment yk

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I wont oc it, maybe after I downloaded an app to roughly calculate my wattage consumption and see that I have 50-100 watt left ill slightly oc my cpu or gpu. Just to get better fps on games. I dont even think I should oc my r9 cuz it already performs pretty good. If my friend gives me the gtx 650 2gb I have more then enough power and ill def oc it

you want that extra headroom so don't try to oc it on that psu. it is not a fireball waiting to happen but trying to run it at 90+% capacity is asking for trouble.

400w of the 500w is about 80% which is about all i'd be willing to ask of that psu. i'd advise against pushing it harder and suggest a better psu if you need/desire to OC the system. but at stock speeds it would be good enough to run the system.

Psu: cx500m 500watts
Specs: intel core 2 quad q8300
An asus mini atx motherboard
R9 280x
2*4gb ddr 3 ram
2 fans
A case with 2 dvd roms
120gb ssd kingston
500gb wd blue 7200rpm
2tb wd green 5200 rpm

If it's working, it will continue to work until it doesn't.

It was 10 bux at my local supermarket and I heard corsair is a good company so I thought it would be a splendid investment yk

Well, yeah.. A decade+ year old entry level PSU doesn't sell for very much. He probably dumpster dived it out of ewaste to begin with.

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
you want that extra headroom so don't try to oc it on that psu. it is not a fireball waiting to happen but trying to run it at 90+% capacity is asking for trouble.

400w of the 500w is about 80% which is about all i'd be willing to ask of that psu. i'd advise against pushing it harder and suggest a better psu if you need/desire to OC the system. but at stock speeds it would be good enough to run the system.
Oh ok, I wont oc it then. But lets say I have 75-150 watts left. Is it possible for me to slightly oc my gpu. Like 5-15% more performance?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
I bought a cx500m on marketplace for 10 bucks. The seller claimed it worked and I thought, its 10 bucks why not. So when it arrived I first tried the paperclip trick to see if it would actually turn on. And it did cuz the fans were spinning, but when I put it in my pc there was nothing happening. Then I thought it would be a dead motherboard so I tried one that has previously worked before (msi 770-c45), but that one didnt receive power too, nor did my psu fans start spinning. So is my psu just dead or am I doing something wrong?

Davidino

Commendable
Feb 17, 2022
'Nothing' like the fan on PSU did not spin either? If that's the case did you retry paperclip test?
In either case paperclip test can only confirm that PSU is dead. Passing the test does not mean PSU works and is able to power the system.
I think I found out what the problem was, my f panel on my motherboard is broken. The reason it didnt power my msi 770-c45 is bc I didnt use a power button or the trick with a screwdriver however, it did power up my whole other pc that does have a power button. So basically that motherboard is useless now cuz the f panel is broken. Power button and screwdriver didnt work so im almost 100% sure my f panel is broken.