Does this sound like a motherboard or CPU problem??

jamie3009

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hi,

Basically, My PC keeps restarting itself before reaching the BIOS or posting. The system continues to do the same thing; Starts up (all fans speed up), runs for a few seconds and then shuts down and starts again after a few seconds with no beeps or nothing. I have disconnected everything (HDD etc.) and no difference. I then disconnected RAM and it did the same thing (still no beeps etc.). After no luck, I tried a different processor (refitted the RAM) that I had lying around and with this processor, the system initially did the same thing (ran and then restarted), but then on the second run of the loop, the system ran for a bit longer, gave one long beep and then got stuck at the BIOS screen (the screen where you press DEL for setup etc.). I then removed the memory when using the second processor and the system then started up, gave six short beeps and then shut down. It then kept on doing this in an infinite loop.

Does this sound like a motherboard or processor issue? The reason I am a bit stumped is due to the fact that the system appears to do different things with the two processors installed? I know that it doesn't successfully Post or start-up with either processor, but it is still odd! Could it even be anything else perhaps??

Parts list please. My initial (non informed guess) is that it could be a Mobo and/or PSU issue, but that is hard to say without a complete parts list (including make and model of PSU). Include all RAM sets that you have available too.

jamie3009

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte G41M Combo
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Main CPU), Pentium D 930 (used as second test CPU)
Memory: Crucial 8GB DDR2 800 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics: NVidia Geforce GTX 650Ti Boost
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 2GB
PSU: Corsair CX600W

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Reset the CMOS on the motherboard unplug the power supply from the wall and remove the battery from the motherboard for about 3 minutes then try again.