Question Does this sound like coil whine?

Mar 24, 2022
https://streamable.com/oembgq

Wondering if this is coil whine or my GPU fans. I'm leaning coil whine because this only happens under load. When I run my fans at 75% while my PC is idling the noise doesn't happen. Only when I'm in a graphically intensive game does the noise occur. I've checked to make sure the fans are free of obstruction as well.

edit: forgot to mention this is a ROG Strix 2060 super

Last edited:

oggyphillips

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2015
Does sound like coil whine to me.

In my experience, it would only occur if I had an insane amount of fps e.g in the loading screen where I might hit 300-400fps

Does the whine change pitch/noise when the fps changes? See if you can set an fps limit to see if the whine stops, or reduces.

Mar 24, 2022
Does sound like coil whine to me.

In my experience, it would only occur if I had an insane amount of fps e.g in the loading screen where I might hit 300-400fps

Does the whine change pitch/noise when the fps changes? See if you can set an fps limit to see if the whine stops, or reduces.
This occurs in most graphically demanding games, and I do notice the noise dampen a bit when I'm in a menu or lobby, but it still stays constant throughout my play session. And it doesn't whirr and pitch like it does in many of the videos you can find on YouTube of graphics card whine, like in the linustechtips video, which is why I'm not sure if this is whine or not.

I can test it in CS:GO tomorrow capped vs. uncapped. Capped at 60 I suspect it will at least be quieter if not nonexistent and uncapped hitting 300+ frames it should be very prevalent. I'll run the fans at a set speed in both tests to rule them out as the cause.

oggyphillips

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2015
This occurs in most graphically demanding games, and I do notice the noise dampen a bit when I'm in a menu or lobby, but it still stays constant throughout my play session. And it doesn't whirr and pitch like it does in many of the videos you can find on YouTube of graphics card whine, like in the linustechtips video, which is why I'm not sure if this is whine or not.

I can test it in CS:GO tomorrow capped vs. uncapped. Capped at 60 I suspect it will at least be quieter if not nonexistent and uncapped hitting 300+ frames it should be very prevalent. I'll run the fans at a set speed in both tests to rule them out as the cause.

The graphics card is probably causing the whine, However, coil whine may also be the power supply, or the motherboard.
See if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

One of my friends had coil whine, replaced the PSU and it stopped happening. Not really a fix for it I'm afraid, other than replacing parts.

I recall the coil whine being very loud while in the Rainbow Six Siege loading screens, the fps is very high there.

Mar 24, 2022
The graphics card is probably causing the whine, However, coil whine may also be the power supply, or the motherboard.
See if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

One of my friends had coil whine, replaced the PSU and it stopped happening. Not really a fix for it I'm afraid, other than replacing parts.

I recall the coil whine being very loud while in the Rainbow Six Siege loading screens, the fps is very high there.
So I tested it like I said and the results are conclusive, definitely coil whine.
60fps capped with fans running at 30% speed, no noise in-game in CS:GO
Uncapped hitting over 300 frames, clear noise and with the side taken off my PC I could clearly hear the whine shift pitch when I moved my mouse around.
Glad I could figure this out, thanks for your help!

oggyphillips

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2015
So I tested it like I said and the results are conclusive, definitely coil whine.
60fps capped with fans running at 30% speed, no noise in-game in CS:GO
Uncapped hitting over 300 frames, clear noise and with the side taken off my PC I could clearly hear the whine shift pitch when I moved my mouse around.
Glad I could figure this out, thanks for your help!

Ok, see if you identify what part is causing it. There is not much you can do other than insulating the PC, or replacing the part.

Glad I could help :)