Does this type of digital camera exist?

I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
preferably in the $150-250 range.

Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into the
USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo application
(I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit more
complicated.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:26:23 GMT, "History Fan"
<IHateSPam!!@IhateSPAm.com> wrote:

> I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
>Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
>preferably in the $150-250 range.
>
> Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
>installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into the
>USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo application
>(I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
>possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
>software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit more
>complicated.

window XP recognizes most new cameras, just plug into the U.S.B port
and bango.

rw

YES SONY CAMERAS DO THE BELOW

"History Fan" <IHateSPam!!@IhateSPAm.com> wrote in message
> I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
> Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
> preferably in the $150-250 range.
>
> Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
> installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into
the
> USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo
application
> (I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
> possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
> software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit
more
> complicated.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:26:23 GMT, "History Fan"
<IHateSPam!!@IhateSPAm.com> wrote:

> I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
>Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
>preferably in the $150-250 range.
>
> Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
>installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into the
>USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo application
>(I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
>possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
>software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit more
>complicated.

My fuji works just fine when I plug in the USB cable to XP. However,
my HP735 doesn't let me download using the cable. My printer has
built in slots for memory cards so I have to use that or else load the
HP software.

I find the software very convenient so I suggest that as first
choice. It creates directories automatically and empties the memory
card after unloading. Very nice.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:26:23 GMT, "History Fan" wrote:

>I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP1. It has six USB 2.0 ports.
>Sometime next month, I'd like to purchase a decent-quality digital camera,
>preferably in the $150-250 range.
>
> Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
>installation? Desired scenario: I take the photos, plug the camera into the
>USB port, upload the images, and use my computer's default photo application
>(I'm not even sure what it is) to view the photos I just snapped. Is that
>possible? I know with USB flash drives you don't need to install any
>software, except with Windows 98. Of course, a digital camera is a bit more
>complicated.

Just get a card-reader that reads the kind of memory card you will
use in your new digital camera, and you will be able to use it the
way you described.

You can copy the pictures off the memory card manually to wherever
you desire on your harddrive(s) without using anything but the
built-in (Microsoft) Explorer.

This approach will work very well if you get a (multi-format/) 6-in-1
reader that covers "your" memory card type.

In article <PVDGc.48$wX6.30@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, IHateSPam!!
@IhateSPAm.com says...
> Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
> installation?

I have a Casio Exilim ZX-40. It comes with a cradle. When the camera is
in the cradle I can press a button on the cradle that connects the camera
to the USB port just as if it were a regular card reader. Then I copy off
the pictures or view them right from the camera as if the card were in a
separate card reader. No software is required. It came with some software
but I don't use it.

Malcolm

> Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
> installation?

Most cameras work this way on XP.

Malcolm

Like they all said above yes... Win.XP has everything you need for a Dig/Cam
Just use your USB cable and all will be well.
You will need some kind of Picture editing software though...

"Malcolm" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any
software
> > installation?
>
> Most cameras work this way on XP.
>
> Malcolm

Win.XP has everything you need for a Dig/Cam
> Just use your USB cable and all will be well.
> You will need some kind of Picture editing software though...

Doesn't XP have its own picture editing software? Or would I need to
download a 3rd party program? I already have IrfanView installed. Not sure
how well that would work with a digital camera.

Irfan View would be good, that's an excellent freeware program. Win.XP
in itself doesn't have any Editing progs. unless the PC came with one
already installed..
From my own experience, I think you'll Eventually want something better
though, as all Editing programs are not equal..

> Win.XP has everything you need for a Dig/Cam
> > Just use your USB cable and all will be well.
> > You will need some kind of Picture editing software though...
> >

> Doesn't XP have its own picture editing software? Or would I need
> download a 3rd party program? I already have IrfanView installed. Not
sure
> how well that would work with a digital camera.

MG

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:40:04 -0500, Grant Robertson
<BOGUS@BOGUS.INVALID> wrote:

>In article <PVDGc.48$wX6.30@fe1.columbus.rr.com>, IHateSPam!!
>@IhateSPAm.com says...
>> Are there digital cameras you can buy that don't require any software
>> installation?

Yes Aiptek's Megacam 3 will. Just connect the USB cable turn it on and
select any non photo mode and your CF card is seen as an external
Storage device for upload/download pics and any data...

MG

www.aiptek.de
**REMOVE** 'myhat' from my return email address before sending!!

The camera will probably come with some sort of photo editing software.
I'm not familiar with Infranview, but it should do whatever it does with
the camera pics just fine. Some cameras come with the card reader and that
is the way to go. They are cheap..........