[SOLVED] Does this virus exist?

Jan 21, 2020
I'm sorry if this isn't really the type of question for this category, but I've seen a lot of knowledgeable and experienced people on this site.
I've been wondering if there is such a virus that would attempt to destroy a computer by, for example using msi afterburner and related programs to overvolt components? Has this ever been a problem? I can imagine someone's home being set on fire by something like this in extreme conditions, maybe if someone got access to their printer or something.

Solution
It has happened in many different ways from malwares but I don't know about the latest PCs (yes latest PCs can still get infected). I think each UEFI by manufacturer of the motherboard has safeguard against malwares with it due to digitally signed firmware updates but I don't think there was one that got past the digital signature. If they were digitally signed it is trusted and verified that there was no tampering with it from the unknown. I have not experienced a malware that destroyed the components but affecting the data. Though I have dealt with more than 10 computers infected with some kind of malware.

If you're concerned from this happening to you I would say don't trust any websites or downloads, scan the files thoroughly...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its always possible, I haven't seen it myself but I don't answer the AV questions (I might put this question in the AV area, you might get more informed answers there).

Part of me thinks the number of people with the target software installed would be small, so (not knowing how someone who writes these think) I would have thought they target bigger potential audience.

But at same time its still possible some guy thought of the idea...

honeybadger_xyz

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
It has happened in many different ways from malwares but I don't know about the latest PCs (yes latest PCs can still get infected). I think each UEFI by manufacturer of the motherboard has safeguard against malwares with it due to digitally signed firmware updates but I don't think there was one that got past the digital signature. If they were digitally signed it is trusted and verified that there was no tampering with it from the unknown. I have not experienced a malware that destroyed the components but affecting the data. Though I have dealt with more than 10 computers infected with some kind of malware.

If you're concerned from this happening to you I would say don't trust any websites or downloads, scan the files thoroughly before extracting them and after extracting them. Also before copying them or opening them, scan with like anti malware program like malware bytes with real time monitoring (is recommended to have real time monitoring to be safe when plugged into the internet) program and have Windows Defender scan them as well.

Linux and Mac can get malwares as well, they are able to use anti malware programs for the help.

Meltdown and Spectre are non patch-able once it got infected it stayed infected even reformatting it with a fresh OS.

Anything is possible.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
My thought that such things are possible but there are so many factors involved that a deliberate, targeted, attack would be very difficult.

Even just a generic attack would require a "perfect storm" of circumstances with regards to the victim computer: hardware, software, AV failures, general lack of security, etc.. And after getting through all that, an actual overheating situation to the point of starting full fledged fire would be unlikely.

For the most part basic security measures, AV software, etc. would likely be preventative enough.

When it comes to fire, many people are doing things such as connecting up too many devices to low end power strips, cheap surge protectors, flimsy extension cords, no cable management, by-passing electrical safety measures (grounding/earthing), overloading outlets, etc..

Those are threats that exist everywhere and present a much greater risk.

Homes do get set on fire.

Do you have smoke detectors?