[SOLVED] Does this Windows Feature actually help?

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
I've been using my system under the Ultra Performance Mode over the high and balanced. I get like little to none performance boosts in game so I already know that, My question is...How does it effect streaming?

I'm rocking an i7-4930k stock if you need to know that.

I would assume it would be beneficial a little more considering I use the x264 software encoder over the NVENC (or something) hardware encoder.

Can anyone help me out a little here?

Solution
well, the quote says it can depend on the uses of the system, so in some situations, it can help a little but

from above quote
if you are running video editing or 3D design software that are putting occasional heavy loads on your hardware, you might see more of an improvement.

I can't find any reference to it benefiting streaming, one article mentions streaming in its list of things this won't help. None are very specific.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you mean Ultimate Performance mode?

The Ultimate Performance power plan is designed to give an extra boost to high-power systems (think workstations and servers) by optimizing the High-Performance power plan. It’s geared toward reducing or eliminating micro-latencies associated with fine-grained power management techniques. A micro-latency is just the slight delay between when your OS recognizes that a piece of hardware needs more power and when it delivers that power. Although this may only be a fraction of a second, it can make a difference.

The Ultimate Performance plan eliminates the polling of hardware to see if it needs more juice and lets the hardware to consume all the power it needs. Also, any power-saving features are disabled to improve performance even more. Because of this, machines that operate on battery power aren’t given this option by default, as it can consume more power and kill your battery much faster.

While you may be thinking this would be great for gaming rigs, don’t get your hopes up.

The Ultimate Performance plan improves speed on systems where hardware continually goes to and from an idle state. But when you’re running a game, all your hardware already works together to populate the environment around you. The only real improvement might come upon initial startup, and you might only see a boost of a couple of frames per second. However, if you are running video editing or 3D design software that are putting occasional heavy loads on your hardware, you might see more of an improvement.

There is an important caveat here. Enabling this plan will increase the amount of power your system consumes, so if you do plan on using this profile on your laptop, make sure you are plugged in at all times.

https://www.howtogeek.com/368781/how-to-enable-ultimate-performance-power-plan-in-windows-10/

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, the quote says it can depend on the uses of the system, so in some situations, it can help a little but

from above quote
if you are running video editing or 3D design software that are putting occasional heavy loads on your hardware, you might see more of an improvement.

I can't find any reference to it benefiting streaming, one article mentions streaming in its list of things this won't help. None are very specific.

Solution