[SOLVED] Does this work?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Found this tweak recommendation somewhere. Was wondering if anyone of you has heard about it and if it really works or not.

"Clean out bloatware and stop Microsoft from spying on you:
Copy and Use this script in your Windows Powershell(Admin): iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat')) Then make your choices in menu. After completion I recommend using Wise Registry (free) cleaner on Standard settings: http://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-registry-cleaner.html "

Also, what exactly do I type in powershell? Do I include the parenthesis?

Solution
You are doing 2 things. First off, the powershell command, which runs a "debloat" script. The script opens a interface which gives you a few buttons to click on, things such as "Remove Bloatware" from your system.

XgDBIYF.jpg

I clicked on "Remove All Bloatware" and got the following info:
Removing bloatware apps.
Removing leftover bloatware registry keys.
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\46928bounde.EclipseManager_2.2.4.51_neutral__a5h4egax66k6y from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Removing...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if I would type a command into powershell that I didn't understand first.

where did you find it?

randomly running scripts off the internet isn't something I would do. I think I seen videos about that debloater or similar.

Windows isn't that bad. I don't get need for these things really.

Reactions: OldCrow618

USAFRet

Titan
Found this tweak recommendation somewhere. Was wondering if anyone of you has heard about it and if it really works or not.

"Clean out bloatware and stop Microsoft from spying on you:
Copy and Use this script in your Windows Powershell(Admin): iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/debloat')) Then make your choices in menu. After completion I recommend using Wise Registry (free) cleaner on Standard settings: http://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-registry-cleaner.html "

Also, what exactly do I type in powershell? Do I include the parenthesis?
In your own words, what is this supposed to do for you?

Reactions: OldCrow618

gardenman

Splendid
You are doing 2 things. First off, the powershell command, which runs a "debloat" script. The script opens a interface which gives you a few buttons to click on, things such as "Remove Bloatware" from your system.

XgDBIYF.jpg

I clicked on "Remove All Bloatware" and got the following info:
Removing bloatware apps.
Removing leftover bloatware registry keys.
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\46928bounde.EclipseManager_2.2.4.51_neutral__a5h4egax66k6y from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.7909.7600.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.PPIProjection_10.0.15063.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.15063.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.BackgroundTasks\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.16299.15.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.File\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\46928bounde.EclipseManager_2.2.4.51_neutral__a5h4egax66k6y from registry Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\Microsoft.PPIProjection_10.0.15063.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.15063.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Launch\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.16299.15.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.PreInstalledConfigTask\PackageId\Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub_17.7909.7600.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\Microsoft.PPIProjection_10.0.15063.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.15063.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.Protocol\PackageId\Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.16299.15.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from registry
Removing HKCR:\Extensions\ContractId\Windows.ShareTarget\PackageId\ActiproSoftwareLLC.562882FEEB491_2.6.18.18_neutral__24pqs290vpjk0 from registry
Checking to see if any Allowlisted Apps were removed, and if so re-adding them.
Stopping telemetry, disabling unneccessary scheduled tasks, and preventing bloatware from returning.
Disabling Windows Feedback Experience program
Stopping Cortana from being used as part of your Windows Search Function
Stopping the Windows Feedback Experience program
Adding Registry key to prevent bloatware apps from returning
Setting Mixed Reality Portal value to 0 so that you can uninstall it in Settings
Disabling live tiles
Turning off Data Collection
Disabling People icon on Taskbar
Disabling suggestions on the Start Menu
Disabling Bing Search when using Search via the Start Menu
Removing CloudStore from registry if it exists
Disabling scheduled tasks
Unpinning tiles from the Start Menu.
Setting the 'InstallService' Windows service back to 'Started' and the Startup Type 'Automatic'.
Finished all tasks.
My opinion: Removing "bloatware" is nonsense. Removing all of these apps will not speed up your system since they are not running in the background by default. Removing all of these apps will save very little disk space. It's a negligible amount. Debloating is a complete waste of time. Debloating can actually hurt your system. Other programs/apps that may need these apps may crash out. If there's a major Windows Update, all of these apps will be reinstalled. Final opinion: Do not "Debloat" your system. You are more likely to hurt your system than make it faster.

Secondly, you are recommending "Wise Registry (free) cleaner". Like all registry cleaners, it's completely unnecessary and very likely dangerous. Unless you want to spend several years going through the 100s or 1000s of entries that it deletes to verify that it's not actually causing damage (which it likely is, and trust me the authors didn't go through them), then you ARE damaging your system by using such a utility. Many people even think CCleaner's registry cleaner is safe. It is not. I know for a fact that it was removing good entries for screen savers. I reported the issue. It was several years later before they actually "fixed" that issue. Final opinion: There is no such thing as a safe registry cleaner. In addition, removing a few thousand bytes from the registry will NOT speed your system up.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
debloating plays on peoples lack of understanding.
It often confuses people as to what memory is. It combines storage and ram into same thing. And while windows does that in some ways when it comes to virtual memory, debloating doesn't really achieve what its stated function is.

Deleting things off storage that aren't running in ram doesn't achieve a lot.

PC aren't mobile phones, we aren't restricted by storage amounts or even ram really. I remember these sort of things being useful when people had a lot less space than you typically do now. When you only had dual core CPU running 4gb or so of ram and smaller hdd, stopping every process you didn't use might have helped. But now? you have 6 cores/12 threads, CPU doesn't struggle running 1 more process... its hardly noticed. 16gb is plenty of ram, as is a 2tb drive.

These programs are anachronisms, they are habits people developed that are not really needed anymore but they do them cause they feel like they help. Same with registry cleaners.

I didn't look at script a lot last night as it was late, but a lot of the pre loaded things that come with windows can be right click uninstalled and if you use a Microsoft account to logon, won't be reinstalled on the next version update as it remembers what you use.