Question Does transfer rate affect HDD performance?

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
I have two hard drives, same rpm, same interface and same cache but different max internal transfer rate.

I noticed the one with higher transfer rate is slightly faster when it comes to loading thumbnails, booting times and loading games by like 2 to 3 seconds faster.
The fast one scored 240mb/sec and the slower scored 229mb/sec, is this normal?

RealBeast

Titan
I have two hard drives, same rpm, same interface and same cache but different max internal transfer rate.

I noticed the one with higher transfer rate is slightly faster when it comes to loading thumbnails, booting times and loading games by like 2 to 3 seconds faster.
The fast one scored 240mb/sec and the slower scored 229mb/sec, is this normal?
Are they identical, same brand, size and model? If so what is the full model number?

RealBeast

Titan
Even with similar specs ?
Yup, HDD technology advances like everything else.

I see a big difference in my 12TB HGST drives over the 3 years (2 generation older) 8TB HGST drives both with the same controller and both with 8 drives in RAID 6. And I would expect the newest 18TB latest generation would be faster yet, although HDDs are getting mature they still improve -- just not as fast as SSDs.

Jul 12, 2020
Newer HDD have higher data density, that is how you now get 10TB HDD. At a given rotational speed, more bits go by the head in a given time. That is also why 3.5" HDD tend to be faster than 2.5", the outer bits appear to be faster the more away from the center point.

the HDD determiens where it stores each bit, but bits stored closer to the center get read slower than the outer ones.

And better prediction algorithms, seek mechanism, buffer RAM etc.

These days HDD are just for large storage. if you want speed, SSD is he way. Reliability would be my main purchase criterium for HDD. Meaningless to compare one HDD at 2% of an SSD, or the other at 2.2.% of SSD speed. Like comparing which snail is the fastes in comparison to a runner.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY