[SOLVED] Does transfering files from secondary disk to an usb affect main disk?

Oct 17, 2021
So i'm moving some files from my secondary disk to an USB. And, it tooks a loooot of times. If i use the computer while the secondary HDD transfering files, will if affects the main disk?

Last edited:
Solution
So i'm moving some files from my secondary disk (160 GB HDD from Laptop) to an USB. And, it tooks a loooot of times. If i use the computer while the secondary HDD transfering files, will if affects the transfering process?
It depends on exactly what you're using, but yes.
The drive and CPU in the laptop can only do so much at once.

Just let it run. It will finish eventually.

USAFRet

Titan
So i'm moving some files from my secondary disk (160 GB HDD from Laptop) to an USB. And, it tooks a loooot of times. If i use the computer while the secondary HDD transfering files, will if affects the transfering process?
It depends on exactly what you're using, but yes.
The drive and CPU in the laptop can only do so much at once.

Just let it run. It will finish eventually.

Solution

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
If it is a cheap USB stick, I wouldn't worry about it. Those have like 25 megs readspeed and 10 write speed which in reality is 18 meg/s read and 3 meg/s write. That is not going to be a problem to the CPU. Those are internet speeds. I bet your NIC doesn't force your CPU to run at 100% load.
If you want faster transfers, gotta pay more for the USB stick. 40-50 dollars or more. That is where sticks are getting faster transfer speeds than 25/10. But not really cost effective. At that point you could probably get an SSD and enclosure for a little bit more that will blow any USB stick out of the water.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
To put things in perspective, my $8 Sandisk Ultra 64GB USB stick writes at 30-40 MB/s and reads at 70-80MB/s. My Sandisk Extreme 32GB model (cost $30 six years ago) does 50-90 MB/s writes and >100 MB/s reads. These are real-world speeds; synthetic benchmarks are much higher.

Personally, I usually avoid making an HDD do more than one job at the same time. But this doesn't seem to be what the OP is doing.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
To put things in perspective, my $8 Sandisk Ultra 64GB USB stick writes at 30-40 MB/s and reads at 70-80MB/s. My Sandisk Extreme 32GB model (cost $30 six years ago) does 50-90 MB/s writes and >100 MB/s reads. These are real-world speeds; synthetic benchmarks are much higher.

Personally, I usually avoid making an HDD do more than one job at the same time. But this doesn't seem to be what the OP is doing.
Yeah, I was way off with my numbers. Maybe it was 100 meg/s writespeeds I was looking at 6 months ago. And not 10. Those are around 40-50 $.
But at the same time, this is 10 dollars more or so: https://www.storagereview.com/review/kingston-datatraveler-max-review 900 meg/s read and write. 256 gig. If I was a heavy user of USB sticks I would get it.