Question Does turning on resizable BAR...

No.

VRAM has a section in the entire memory space that is directly addressible by the system. All Resizable BAR does is increase the size of this section since by default, the maximum limit is 256MB. This helps the system from having to slide the section around when it wants to access more than 256MB of VRAM.

Reactions: KyaraM

ötzi

Proper
Apr 2, 2022
Not very noticeable I think since it's mostly a VRAM thing, but I guess you already know that. The only thing resizable BAR does is removing the limitation of the 256MB framebuffer that the CPU can access, it can access the entire VRAM as a framebuffer at once if needed with resizable BAR (or SAM) enabled.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Ok, so running into an interesting situation here.

Buddy of mine has a 11700K based system with a 3070 and 16GB of RAM. We enjoy playing a Clancy title together and were discussing enabling (or not) BAR. In his case, when he is enabling it RAM use is going from ~10GB to upwards of 14 and thus starts other issue related to a lack of available system RAM and page file. Turn it off and goes right back to 10-11 for the same settings.

I am a bit confuddled about it and don't know what to suggest other than leaving it off. To be fair, don't even know if the title utilizes it but in my own PC I just turned it on and left it without any issue so far.

Ok, so running into an interesting situation here.

Buddy of mine has a 11700K based system with a 3070 and 16GB of RAM. We enjoy playing a Clancy title together and were discussing enabling (or not) BAR. In his case, when he is enabling it RAM use is going from ~10GB to upwards of 14 and thus starts other issue related to a lack of available system RAM and page file. Turn it off and goes right back to 10-11 for the same settings.

I am a bit confuddled about it and don't know what to suggest other than leaving it off. To be fair, don't even know if the title utilizes it but in my own PC I just turned it on and left it without any issue so far.
What's the VRAM usage in game, and is the game itself increasing in RAM usage?