Feb 21, 2021
I have a gaming laptop (acer aspire 7 with i5 9300h + gtx 1650) and I undervolted it around -140 mV...and I ran cinebench r15 (without undervolt temp - 88°c, multicore score - 815)(With undervolt temp - 71°c to 79°c, multicore score - 709) why this performance hit with undervolt?????

N.B. - I use ThrottleStop

Solution
I'm not throttling because I have enabled "BD PROCHOT" in ThrottleStop and it's set to 88°c.
So that is putting a limit in place which will reduce performance.

What temperature and score do you get in Cinebench when running stock settings? That is your baseline. If it is throttling at stock then try undervolting and you may achieve a performance boost.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Undervolting creates less heat. Less heat makes for longer high boost. It is possable but not always. Sometimes undervolting creates instability with high loads which will cause a hang or crash

Did you read my whole thread? I asked why cinebench r15 score decreases with undervolt?
Because at stock voltage you are not thermal throttling (88c). If you were getting close to 100c like many laptop do running Cinebench you would be thermal throttling. Then when you undervolt it’s possible to remove the thermal throttling and improve performance.

I cannot remember the numbers but my Dell G5 with 9750h had a performance boost in Cinebench but it also would go straight up to 96+c on each core without undervolting.

Feb 21, 2021
Because at stock voltage you are not thermal throttling (88c). If you were getting close to 100c like many laptop do running Cinebench you would be thermal throttling. Then when you undervolt it’s possible to remove the thermal throttling and improve performance.

I cannot remember the numbers but my Dell G5 with 9750h had a performance boost in Cinebench but it also would go straight up to 96+c on each core without undervolting.
I'm not throttling because I have enabled "BD PROCHOT" in ThrottleStop and it's set to 88°c.

Cinebench can use 100% of your CPU so reducing vcore reduces performance.
Have you tried running a game that was not running well before the undervolting?
Games use much less of the CPU then what cinebench does so the performance doesn't drop that much and if the lower vcore allows the GPU to have more power you will have better FPS since the GPU is very often more important for gaming than the CPU.

@Antu_chow - Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop so I can see how you have the program setup. Check the Log File option when testing so you have a record of your CPU performance. It will also record any reasons for throttling. No one else is seeing a performance hit when undervolting so something is not set right. If your undervolt is set too high, it might not be stable. Start testing with the core and cache offset to -125 mV.

Use Cinebench R20. It uses AVX instructions and is a better test for 9th Gen CPUs compared to R15.

You can also use R23. I prefer testing with R20 because it is faster.

A 9300H should be up around 2000 points in this test. Many laptops have severe throttling problems and only score around 1500 points. Post lots of pics and a log file when testing so I can help you out.