[SOLVED] Does Uneven Core Temps Damage CPU ?

Sep 21, 2020
Hi!

My CPU and my GPU was overheating so I cleaned and repasted it. GPU is pretty much OK right now but CPU is not so. As CPU still hot even after doing everything I could do (repasting, cleaning, undervolting, using laptop cooler, evelavating the laptop) I started to invastigate and found that only one core is overheating.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZEBZ8SSkJrbWN0f_0CCv86LxcNrtHyf-?usp=sharing Here is screenshot of that.

While gaming and doing other stuff CPU heavy or not. Only CPU#1 is the hot one. Even under heavy stress testing which push all the cores to their limits, only Core#1 and #3 seems to overheat. But other cores being hot is not problem as I have not seen %100 cpu workload yet in my 1 year usage so these cores must not be overheating. And this problem seems to common in i7-x750h series as I have seen many other posts about same problem.

Package temps shows 90+ temps (it takes highest core temp in to account I suppose but I am not sure) and my fans are usually working at near full speed but I dont really face a thermal throttle and when I put my hand front of fan air it doesnt seem very hot. So my question is; given that only one core is overheating and others are fine in most cases, should I worry about damaging my laptop ?

Specs: Nitro 5 with i7 8750h

Last edited:
Solution
Package temps shows 90+ temps (it takes highest core temp in to account I suppose but I am not sure) and my fans are usually working at near full speed but I dont really face a thermal throttle
You are not technically overheating you are just reaching near the maximum temp of the CPU which is at 100°
It would be nice if you could give it more cooling but if you only hit that high under heavy benches/stress testing you should not have any problems, as you said yourself you have no throttling and that's because you are within specs.
Package temps shows 90+ temps (it takes highest core temp in to account I suppose but I am not sure) and my fans are usually working at near full speed but I dont really face a thermal throttle
You are not technically overheating you are just reaching near the maximum temp of the CPU which is at 100°
It would be nice if you could give it more cooling but if you only hit that high under heavy benches/stress testing you should not have any problems, as you said yourself you have no throttling and that's because you are within specs.

Solution
Sep 21, 2020

Yes I have not experienced any thermal throttle (at least a severe one that I will notice) . 3 core are 90+ while stress testing. In normal gaming even in games that doesnt use that much cpu, package temps shows 90+ but only one core is 90+ and others are 70-80. So it wont damage my hardware right? because normally 90+ package temp are not recommended (Other people says at least).

Sep 21, 2020
And I want to add that I heard most of the time CPU is not the broken part when your laptop damaged due to heat but rather the melted/damaged motherboard. I dont think one hot core can damage board so I shoulnt worry but still I need an approval.

That 90C core is concentrated on a spot about the size of a grain of rice, or maybe a smaller sized pea. That's not going to damage something that on its scale is miles away.

It's like this: if you have a space heater on in one room, do you think it's going to catch something on fire across the house?