Does unplugging a system while it's running physically damage components?

BigPawz

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Hi there guys, another sort of noobish question from me. :)

Do any components or parts within a computer (or any electronic device for that matter, such as a gaming console) undertake shock damage or surges when they are unplugged while running? I'm just a little concerned because I've had this happen to every computer and video gaming console I own, and I guess I'm paranoid I did some long term damage to the sensitive chips or components within the system. If anyone could give me some insight on how or if unplugging a system while on can cause physical damage, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks so much ^^

BigPawz

Reputable
May 14, 2014

I see. So doing it once or twice won't damage the components or chips in any permanent way then? Or shorten their lifespan for that matter?

Thomas van Velzen

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

No, once or twice won't damage it..

Thomas, i answered on your thread for your "first PC" so you simply dont know what will damage the components or not. There is a risk of damaging it if you are gaming or so and on very high temps and etc. and for example takes the CPU cooler off, it will damage it. But if you take off a unneeded cables ( i havent done it yet ) i am pretty sure that it wont damage anything. But dont do it since it simply doesnt make sence.

Thomas van Velzen

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

Wow, did you just said what i said? Good job. Also, you just want to get chosen as the answer don't you. *EDIT* And I Already have a PC dumbass.