[SOLVED] Does upgrading CPU allow faster RAM?

The Gonif

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Hi, I just upgraded the CPU in my old HP G62-340US laptop from an Athlon II P340 (dual core) to a Phenom II N970 (quad core). Between that and replacing the HDD with an SSD, this old machine is actually quite useable now, if you can believe that. My kid just started using it for school, and this nine year old laptop is now faster than his two year old school-issued Chromebook.

Anyway, it needs more memory. Under the stock CPU, the fastest RAM allowed was DDR3-1066. However, the specs of the new CPU show it supports DDR3-1333. Does that mean that the laptop will now support the faster memory, just because the new CPU does? If so, are there any drawbacks of using faster RAM, like generating more heat, placing a stress on the old components, or anything like that?

Thanks!

Solution
If you increase capacity a lot, a little bit. Depends on the memory config now. Two sticks will usually require more power than one. But speed is more a matter selectively testing for chips that can run faster, not necessarily needing more power.

Typically power requirements go down during the lifecycle of memory generations. Early DDR3 would have been on a larger (less efficient) manufacturing process that required more voltage to run.

DDR3-1600 or DDR3L-1600 should work. Worst case you run it at 1066 or have to return it.

I usually use Crucial for laptop memory as a guideline on what to buy, they put a lot of effort into their 'upgrade' site.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-g62-340us

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you increase capacity a lot, a little bit. Depends on the memory config now. Two sticks will usually require more power than one. But speed is more a matter selectively testing for chips that can run faster, not necessarily needing more power.

Typically power requirements go down during the lifecycle of memory generations. Early DDR3 would have been on a larger (less efficient) manufacturing process that required more voltage to run.

DDR3-1600 or DDR3L-1600 should work. Worst case you run it at 1066 or have to return it.

I usually use Crucial for laptop memory as a guideline on what to buy, they put a lot of effort into their 'upgrade' site.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-g62-340us

Solution

The Gonif

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

Thanks for your reply. I'm curious why you mentioned DDR3-1600, since the specs show that the CPU only supports up to 1333. Or were you thinking that 1600 is more obtainable and would just downclock to 1333 or 1066 when it runs?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
All of the above. I imagine Crucial is listing that speed as you could have a CPU in there that could handle that speed. Could simply be that HP is underselling the system, they may only list the speeds that were available (from them) at launch.

DDR3 1600 at launch was about $50+ per 2GB, so outside of most people's budget, also required overvolting to 1.65 volts to get that speed. These days, that is down to 1.3 volts.

Reactions: The Gonif