Does upgrading from Windows 7 32-bit from 64-bit will format everything?

Kevin Fox

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Hi, so i got a living room PC that my friends/family use with the following specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX 1GB
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2,66 GHz

Now, my brother, wants to upgrade his computer from Vista to 7, has bought a copy of Windows 7 64-bit. I just installed a retail copy of GTA V in my living room PC, but i didn't know that it needs 64-bit OS to run, so i might as well use the Windows 7 CD that my brother bought to upgrade the OS of my living room PC from 32-bit to 64-bit, but i wanted to ask, if i upgrade my PC from 32bit to 64bit, does it will format everything in my computer? i have about 27 games on it, and i don't want to reinstall them all over again.. P.S, this might be a stupid question, because i'm not a computer expert, and i have never installed an 64-bit OS before.. Thanks..

Solution

How do you have the games installed exactly? From DVDs and stuff? You can't just copy all of the files manually. They won't run properly on the new OS. You will probably have to reinstall them in this case. Just start with the most current games on...

coreydwillis2

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
Yes you will need to reinstall the OS to transition fro 32-Bit to 64-Bit. This will erase any files that you do not backup before doing this. As far as the games, most game services like Steam let you backup games to an external hard drive or DVDs so that you don't have to re-download the games.

Kevin Fox

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

I only have installed games from Steam on my personal computer, but not in my living room PC. Is there any way to backup all of them without copying every single file to an external HDD?

coreydwillis2

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

How do you have the games installed exactly? From DVDs and stuff? You can't just copy all of the files manually. They won't run properly on the new OS. You will probably have to reinstall them in this case. Just start with the most current games on the first day and then install one or two every couple days to spread it out. :)

Solution

Kevin Fox

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

Yes, i installed them with DVDs. And okay, then. Thanks for the help :)