Does upgrading memory, mean I have to update BIOS on my 8300

nongyrlgeek

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hi, I plan on adding 2x1GB of memory to my already 512 MB, and want to know will it be necessary to change to BIOS? If so, how do I do that or where may I find the information to upgrade the BIOS once I've installed the memory? Also, how do I tell if my system is a 32 bit vs. 64 bit. I have never changed a thing since we bought the system except reformat it. I would love to hear you input. Thanks

fpsdominator

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Well you shouldnt have to update the bios just for RAM.
But id update it anyway, But i cant help you with updating the bios becuase you didnt give any info on your system.
And 32bit only limts you to about 3.5GB so your fine there.
I would also put the 2x1 sticks in and leave the stick of 512 out.

nongyrlgeek

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
System information would be helpful, I have a Dell Dimension 8300, everything is original and I already have 2x256MB, that I wanted to leave in and just add another 2GB and be done with it. Will that be a problem? Also, I'm not sure I understand what ID Update means. Could you explain further? Thx.

fpsdominator

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
ID update. hehe.. :D

If you got 4 slots for ram then there wouldn't be a problem with that. Anyway, it won't pass 3.5gb so its fine with your 32 bit os. Just make sure that you put the dimms to the appropriate slots for dual channeling.

No need to update bios. But if there is one, please do so. :)

My god I cannot believe the bad advice here.

You don't have to update your BIOS to add memory, as everyone has said, but....

unless you are having a specific problem, and a new BIOS update has been written to specifically fix the problem you are having....LEAVE YOUR BIOS ALONE.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the golden rule of BIOS updating.

I don't know over the years how many threads have been posted where people have killed their motherboards trying to update their BIOS. Many, many, many of them. And no telling how many people otherwise have done it as well. It is probably one of the biggest single causes of motherboards being returned as dead.

Thats right, if you don't do it correctly, you will have a dead motherboard. Period.
The only way to fix it is a new motherboard, or have the motherboard manufacturer send you a new BIOS chip, if your old chip is removable.
Your BIOS does not contain any programs, drivers, or anything else that affects your systems performance. Your BIOS simply configures, or allows you to configure, everything that you have. A BIOS update is usually to allow for some hardware configuration that was released after your board was made, like a new type or family of processor that fit's on your board.

Memory is not one of the things that normally require BIOS updating.

MSVIKKI1991

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
yesterday i make a budget gaming rig:

hp 8200 MT

windows 10 64bit

ram new kingston 2 x 4gb pc3 12800 cl11 240 = 8gb ram ( i know hp 8200 supports 1333mhz but so many ppl says and also on forums that this system can run 1600mhz ram at 1333mhz without any issue so i brought

processor i5 2400 (tested ok)

graphics new gtx 750 gigabyte oc edition

psu hp branded 320watt

hdd 320gb

my system sometimes start without any issue but when i start after 3, 4 hrs or half an hour then it wont give any display but system can run normaly what i find is that when i remove any one stick of ram then no problem occur and system runs normaly on 4gb and if i plug it again and start pc then its work without any issue with 8gb ram but after few hours or minutes when i start pc again same problem (no disply but pc runs)
both ram sticks are on white slots i also change both ram on black slots but same problem occur.
can anyone tell me what will be the issue ?

p.s sorry for my bad english