[SOLVED] Does upgrading software slow down computer?

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021
I'm trying to keep my desktop fast like the first day bought. Example Adobe lightroom 6 from many yrs ago feels fast enough for me and is enough. I also experimented with installing very old heavy design and creative softwares and they all ran fast. I'm one of those that are like "this is enough" and it ain't broken don't fix it. I don't want to keep buying new version every yr. I rarely get online on my desktop. I only switch on the wifi and update the Windows Defender virus definition. My windows 10 version is about 2yrs ago. what am I missing? should I keep chasing updates? does updating and upgrading tax my system? thanks

Solution
In general software updates include fixes to problems, improvements to existing features, and new features.

As you add features this may require additional system resources. So to some extent, yes, software updates can slow your system down. But some fixes and improvements will be for performance improvements, so some updates will decrease system resource requirements.

The benefits of software updates typically outweigh any problems.

And of course as the minimum average capabilities of systems increase, that becomes the new target to develop for. So upgrading hardware every once in a while is necessary. Mostly for new CPU features that some software will require as a minimum.

Nothing wrong with keeping an offline system static and...

USAFRet

Titan
Windows Updates absolutely need to happen.
Not sure how you've avoided, but those updates include security fixes.

Lightroom? I'm on 5.7. No need to update unless you want to.
LR 6 is not "many years ago".

But to your questions...No, updates do not generally "slow down" your PC.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In general software updates include fixes to problems, improvements to existing features, and new features.

As you add features this may require additional system resources. So to some extent, yes, software updates can slow your system down. But some fixes and improvements will be for performance improvements, so some updates will decrease system resource requirements.

And of course as the minimum average capabilities of systems increase, that becomes the new target to develop for. So upgrading hardware every once in a while is necessary. Mostly for new CPU features that some software will require as a minimum.

Nothing wrong with keeping an offline system static and slimmed down. But if it goes online at all, best to keep it up to date.

Reactions: rren
Solution

rren

Commendable
Feb 2, 2021

Nothing wrong with keeping an offline system static and slimmed down. But if it goes online at all, best to keep it up to date.
thanks for the great reply. would you say example going from Photoshop 2017 to Photoshop 2021 required more rams and cpu? I've noticed that if I stay 2 or even 4 generation behind, my pc is smooth enough and problem free enough for me. I like speed better than features. basically the latest program versions slow down my pc.

USAFRet

Titan
thanks for the great reply. would you say example going from Photoshop 2017 to Photoshop 2021 required more rams and cpu? I've noticed that if I stay 2 or even 4 generation behind, my pc is smooth enough and problem free enough for me. I like speed better than features. basically the latest program versions slow down my pc.
The added features might. The base application will not to any significant degree.