Question Does using a paid VPN simultaneously on the router and PC work?

Nov 13, 2022
Hi guys,
You could easily understand the question as the title says what I'm trying to ask.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish with this:

I like to play CS: GO on Steam routing my traffic through a Rome, Italy server to be able to play in the EU with the least possible low latency, but I like to route my all other network traffic through Seattle, WA, USA server and the problem is even the split tunneling feature can't achieve this what I'm trying to accomplish here.

I found a how-to guide on a VPN provider site to set up a VPN on a router. Let's suppose I set my VPN on a home router to configure it to route my all network traffic through the Italy VPN server rather than my local ISP and I also set the same VPN on my PC with a USA server and enabled the split tunnel feature to exclude CS: GO traffic to route my game traffic through the Italy server, so will it be possible?

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Reactions: Rana Zain0009
Very messy to setup but it will work the way you want. Tricky part is many router vpn clients do not support the split tunnel feature. As long as you can put in the vpn ip of the traffic going to the USA to bypass the vpn on the pc it will work.

You might also need to have a split tunnel feature on the PC based vpn client that works in reverse.....that is assuming you are going to use other app at the same time as you play the game. If you just play the game and then stop the game and do other stuff you likely can just turn the vpn on and off completely and it will be less garbage that can get messed up.
I hate vpn clients on PC they tend to not always install/uninstall cleanly so I would try to only set it up 1 time. I ended up having to reinstall windows when I was testing out vpn services to see which I liked best. I now only run vpn on the router.

Note you might be better off running the reverse if it is only for 1 pc or set other traffic to completely bypass both vpn and use your ISP directly. The concern is that vpn is very cpu intensive. The pc based one will not have much trouble but it is not uncommon to max the cpu on a router running vpn. Many routers cpu will cap the speed at about 30mbps running openvpn, you get a bit more running wireguard.