Does VIVO = TV Tuner??

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Just a couple of quick questions; I still haven't resolved my video card dilemma. I want to have a two monitor system and TV in. <font color=blue>Will <i>any</i> "GF3 Ti200 VIVO" card allow me to watch TV?</font color=blue> I am thinking of buying the following card for about $140: <font color=red>MSI G3 TI200 PRO-VT GEFORCE3 TI200 64MB DDR VIVO TV-OUT (MS-8850)</font color=red>. Then I could just buy a cheap 32 MB PCI VC for the second monitor, which will primarily be used for Office apps and internet. <font color=blue>Finally, if this set up would work for me, does the GPU with the TV Tuner do any work other than provide an input for video....put another way, can I play a game on the good card and open the TV window in the other monitor, or must the TV window remain on the monitor of the VC that the signal comes in on?</font color=blue> Thanks again, I appreciate it.

-Rick

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Probably a stupid question candidate, but is a TV signal considered a video signal? I am totally unsure (obviously) whether or not that video in means it can take in a TV signal from coax, or if it would only be able to come in from something like a VCR. Someone PLEASE clarify this for me.

-Rick

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Video in doesn't mean TV tuner.
If you go truth a VCR/DVD fist with the tuner, you can use your VIVO card as TVtuner but stand alone no.

Hope this helps.

The faster a computer is, the faster it will reach a crashed state :eek:

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you are looking for TV In/Out features with a TV Tuner, and dual monitors, I HIGHLY recommend the Radeon AIW models CAIW Radeon, AIW 7500, AIW 8500)</font color=red> If you do not need the TV tuner, <font color=red>(ie you will have your TV signal always coming from a VCR or Satalite dish,)</font color=red> just get the Radeon 7500 or 8500. Geforce's preformance with TV in and out cannot compete with that of ATI as far as quality and features are concered, get the 7500 if you do not play intense games <font color=red>(like Equanox)</font color=red> or get the 8500 if you do.

If it works for you then don't fix it.