Does VPN leak my IP?

Oct 17, 2018
Hi everyone,
I am very much concerned with VPN. Currently I am testing between different VPN companies e. tried purevpn and cryberghost but do they really leak my IP address. I however do confirm my new IP address.

If I register account on any website with VPN activated, is there anyway someone can know that I am using a VPN connection? Is there anyway can I be traced to my own IP address?

What happens if VPN connection is interrupted between sessions ?

Oct 13, 2018
I would be more than happy if there is someone who can help with this question.

I'm really not a VPN expert and I want to know what happens if VPN connection is interrupted between sessions too.

Please help :D

Apr 30, 2018
>If I register account on any website with VPN activated, is there anyway someone can know that I am using a VPN connection?

If the website has some sort of filter which detects VPNs then yes. Or notices many accounts on the same IP address. Though it is highly unlikely. If it was your ISP, then it would detect the VPN traffic, but it wouldn't know anything else.

>Is there anyway can I be traced to my own IP address?

Not unless your IP leaks. For example, I use NordVPN with kill switch enabled. If you have a quality VPN with a properly setup killswitch, the only way to know your IP is to ask the VPN company for logs. Now most of them will not do that. And quality ones, like mentioned NordVPN, has a zero log policy.

>What happens if VPN connection is interrupted between sessions ?

Then your real IP would leak. That's where mentioned kill switch comes into play. If your connection gets interrupted, the whole connection is killed until the VPN connection is reinitiated.

stdragon

Admirable
A VPN creates an encrypted tunnel of communication between you and the VPN service provider - Your ISP issued IP address is obfuscated from any and all traffic as traffic truly terminates at the VPN service provider. So that means when you connect to Google.com and your VPN traffic terminates from say, Japan (and you're physically in the US), Google with think your physical presence is in Japan, and will probably serve you ads and such.

If your VPN session drops, the connection is lost. While the VPN is down and you attempt to re-connect to Google.com, it will then know your real IP address as all traffic is now terminating from your ISP issued public IP.

Side Note: There is such a thing is split tunneling where only specific traffic to a destination will traverse across a VPN whereas everything else goes out your ISP. You don't have to worry though, that's something primarily found in the corporate world. Paid for VPN services won't do that as it defeats the marketed anonymity they're selling to you.

Short answer yes.
You can put a VM into a VLAN and then only allow outbound traffic to the ip address of the VPN.
Then your router will enforce it. If you have nothing enforcing it then your ip will leak out at some point.
The PIA client has a feature to try and do this client side.

Oct 17, 2018

Interesting. How does kill switch works in this situation ?

A firewall is going to stop packets. Configuring at the router will be the best way to stop them.

Dec 11, 2018

it's possible. VPNs have IP pools assigned to them. they're sort of the owner's property and can be traced back to them. so lets say if yours is 192.2.2.3 for instance, it could still be traced back to a provider but your data still stays secure since that's encrypted. also, dns leak is uncommon but if it's happening, check your ip over ip2location and if you see your old ip, contact your provider.

Dec 24, 2018
Hi!

Hope you are doing well. I'm also using PureVPN and my experience is amazing. i found some reviews and blog post which can helps you to identify your problem. First know the difference between IP leak or DNS. Here is the some blogs i found for you which is guide you properly about ip leak and how to stop this.

https://johnbvergara.quora.com/PureVPN-IP-Leak-Policy-will-secure-your-privacy

http://purevpnprivacypolicy.blogspot.com/2018/09/how-to-resolve-ip-leak-issues-purevpn.html

BadAsAl

Distinguished

Interesting. How does kill switch works in this situation ?
Let's say you are running Chrome, you go into the settings of the VPN software (I have NordvPN too) and you can then select Chrome as an app you want killed if the VPN drops. So VPN connection drops, Chrome is immediately closed too. Just using Chrome as an example but any program can be killed this way. You can reopen Chrome afterwards even if you don't reconnect the VPN but most of the things you want to kill you would want to connect VPN again before reopening.

Can you capture full PCAPs and save to disk. Then sift through them. most of it should be to the vpn. then some for connecting to the vpn. third party vpns are usually resolved so it's ip can change very frequently. this keeps temp bans lower for users.

TRENDING THREADS