Does WD My Net Wi-Fi Range Extender work with ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router?

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
I'm considering getting a new router since my current standard N router has terrible wireless range. I've never used an extender before, and would the above work without having to be plugged into the router? Ideally, I'd like to have it in another room so I can hit this area of the house where I'm currently getting no signal.

Solution

This is the common misconception people have of these devices. Most "range extenders" receive a wireless signal and then retransmit and work under the theory that the retransmitted signal will extend the distance.

Now if you were to put it in a room that gets no signal what is this device suppose to do. Just magically create a connection.

To make this work the device must be a location to get strong signal. Obviously if you get strong signal in the room you want to use the PC you would not even be looking at these. So it needs to be place someplace about half way between.

Still the best you can expect is...

This is the common misconception people have of these devices. Most "range extenders" receive a wireless signal and then retransmit and work under the theory that the retransmitted signal will extend the distance.

Now if you were to put it in a room that gets no signal what is this device suppose to do. Just magically create a connection.

To make this work the device must be a location to get strong signal. Obviously if you get strong signal in the room you want to use the PC you would not even be looking at these. So it needs to be place someplace about half way between.

Still the best you can expect is 1/2 your speed and many times it is much worse. With 2 radio signals you now also get 2 times the risk for interference. You should not use a wireless repeater until you have tried every other option.

If you can run a cable to the room you have no coverage then I would plug the PC in and not even use wireless but if you need wireless for say a tablet device then you would put a AP in that room. This is your best option for good coverage.

Solution