[SOLVED] Does WD send refurbished or new replacement drives under RMA?

system100m

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
I'm sending out a defective WD40EZAZ to Wetern Digital USA for replacement under RMA.

Will they send me back a new or a refurbished drive?
Will my remaining time of warranty I have for the bad drive, be kept for the replacement drive?

Solution
https://www.westerndigital.com/support/warranty-statement

Western Digital will replace the Product with a functionally equivalent replacement Product, transportation prepaid. Western Digital may replace your Product with a product that was previously used, repaired and tested to meet Western Digital specifications. You receive title to the replaced Product at delivery to the carrier at the Western Digital shipping point and Western Digital retains title to the returned Product. You are responsible for importation of the replaced Product, if applicable. Western Digital will not return the original drive to end users; therefore, the end user is responsible for moving data to another media before returning. Data...
https://www.westerndigital.com/support/warranty-statement

Western Digital will replace the Product with a functionally equivalent replacement Product, transportation prepaid. Western Digital may replace your Product with a product that was previously used, repaired and tested to meet Western Digital specifications. You receive title to the replaced Product at delivery to the carrier at the Western Digital shipping point and Western Digital retains title to the returned Product. You are responsible for importation of the replaced Product, if applicable. Western Digital will not return the original drive to end users; therefore, the end user is responsible for moving data to another media before returning. Data Recovery is not covered under this warranty and is not part of the warranty returns process. Western Digital warrants that the replaced Products are covered for the remainder of the original Product warranty or 90 days, whichever is greater.

Solution