[SOLVED] Does Windforce use more power than standard OC?

oofmaster

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Planning on getting a GTX 1650, both the standard and Windforce are at the same price. I have a 420W power supply but it will be able to handle the standard 1650, but I'm not sure about the windforce. Which is the one worth getting?

Solution
Planning on getting a GTX 1650, both the standard and Windforce are at the same price. I have a 420W power supply but it will be able to handle the standard 1650, but I'm not sure about the windforce. Which is the one worth getting?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'standard' model. There's 2 Windforce models. Both are rated 75 watts TDP, but the model with higher boost clock uses a 6-pin PCIe power connector for supplemental power in case slot power (75 watts max) is exceeded under heavy game loads. If your power supply does not have the 6-pin power cable then you should use the model that uses slot power only. Using adapters is not recommended. So, to answer your question, 1 of the windforce models requires more power and 1 does...
misclicked, it's a Cooler Master TM-420, 8 months old
That's an OEM power supply that usually comes with the case for real cheap. Quality is non-existent. Even if you have a newer version of this model, I would not use it to power a potatoe. Oh look! Here's that power supply in action (probably an older version than yours).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOjJOXIJNt4

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'standard' model. There's 2 Windforce models. Both are rated 75 watts TDP, but the model with higher boost clock uses a 6-pin PCIe power connector for supplemental power in case slot power (75 watts max) is exceeded under heavy game loads. If your power supply does not have the 6-pin power cable then you should use the model that uses slot power only. Using adapters is not recommended. So, to answer your question, 1 of the windforce models requires more power and 1 does not even though both are rated at 75 watts. Here's a comparison that shows both, with 1 model requiring the supplemental power cable.

Solution

Latest posts