Does Windows 8.1 automatically install all drivers?

orangegasm

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I did a clean install on my dell xps 8500 and after a little while, the monitors flicker and they get to their regular resolution. I right click the desktop and I notice that CCC has been installed. I didn't install it either. And USB 3.0 ports work at full speed without installing chipset drivers. My wifi works. My sound works. I didn't have to install any of these drivers. Why is that?

Solution
Windows has a mechanism to search Windows Update for drivers automatically once connected to the internet. As far as USB3, support for that is built into Windows 8 the same way support for USB2 is built into 7 and Vista. There are basic "generic" video and audio drivers in Windows to provide function. Windows update often gets the proper video driver if it isn't installed out of the box from the disk, though it will leave the generic sound driver.

Windows Update may not pick up all missing drivers, so still check the Device Manager and manually get what it missed (I usually get the proper audio driver too even though the generic Windows sound driver provides basic function)
Windows has a mechanism to search Windows Update for drivers automatically once connected to the internet. As far as USB3, support for that is built into Windows 8 the same way support for USB2 is built into 7 and Vista. There are basic "generic" video and audio drivers in Windows to provide function. Windows update often gets the proper video driver if it isn't installed out of the box from the disk, though it will leave the generic sound driver.

Windows Update may not pick up all missing drivers, so still check the Device Manager and manually get what it missed (I usually get the proper audio driver too even though the generic Windows sound driver provides basic function)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS