[SOLVED] Does Windows HD color settings (use HDR) impact in game performance?

Jan 24, 2021
So my new monitor just arrived (ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B gaming) and apparently if i have windows HD color enabled (which i do) i cant access the monitors OSD settings, as windows configures it automatically When i have windows HD colors settings enabled, the color profile drop down box selects sRGB. With the HDR disabled, I can select the ASUS color profile, and it allows me to configure the settings using my monitors OSD.. If i have this HDR setting enabled on windows, does it impact game performance if i have HDR in-game disabled? Or will i be better off disabling windows HD color, and using my monitors OSD settings instead? And if anyone has this monitor or knows anything about monitors and color settings (which i sure as heck dont) could you recommend to me the best settings to enable and disable? Thanks!

Solution
I do not have the monitor but I have setup a couple of PCs with it.
Have you noticed that the brightness of the ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B is lower in HDR than in SDR. Brightness is what one of the features that makes HDR content look better and it should be higher than SDR.

I don't see any performance penalty by just enabling HDR in Windows 10 .
I do see a 4-13fps drop in games when I enable my monitor HDR.
You could try it and see if there is any difference.

By the way the default settings (out-of-the- box) on that monitor were very good.
The issue with going with someone else settings is that you will have to be in a similar lighted room otherwise it won't look the same.
I do not have the monitor but I have setup a couple of PCs with it.
Have you noticed that the brightness of the ASUS TUF VG27WQ1B is lower in HDR than in SDR. Brightness is what one of the features that makes HDR content look better and it should be higher than SDR.

I don't see any performance penalty by just enabling HDR in Windows 10 .
I do see a 4-13fps drop in games when I enable my monitor HDR.
You could try it and see if there is any difference.

By the way the default settings (out-of-the- box) on that monitor were very good.
The issue with going with someone else settings is that you will have to be in a similar lighted room otherwise it won't look the same.

Solution