Does Windows Write To Bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

great Unknown

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2014
Does windows write to BIOS when it installs? How would switching to an alternate BIOS chip like I can with the ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 affect an windows install [currently 7 pro, may go to 10 when it comes out]?

dertz8

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
No windows does not write to the bios. Switching MOBO's should not affect windows booting as long as everything is working correctly. You may get a message from windows saying you switched a lot of hardware and need to reactivate etc.

Dombrizzle

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
Windows 10 must write something to older BIOSes, I have an Asus M4A78+ mobo, I had windows 10 installed on an old SSD, the SSD got corrupted and I could not do startup repair, kept getting a stop screen error 0xc0000225. I cleared the CMOS to no avail. Put a brand new SSD in and tried running the setup off a USB flash drive made with Rufus for MBR, same error. Tried running a windows 8.1 setup off a flash drive made the same, wouldn't start and blue screen with the same windows 10 blue screen with the stop code 225. I reflashed the BIOS and then was able to reinstall windows 10 made for MBR no problem then. So yes windows 10 must "tattoo" something into the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.