Question Does World of Warcraft prefer milti-core or single-core performance?

fcar1999ta

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Does World of Warcraft run better with higher CPU single-core performance or higher multi-core performance.

I am trying to decide between Intel 13th gen and AMD ZEN4.

The game is more CPU-bound than GPU from what I've heard. It also requires a decent amount of system RAM as well. But it sill requires a decent GPU as well.

WoW's performance depends a lot on your graphics card, but it is quite CPU-intensive, particularly with settings such as viewing distance, or when you are in a major city or raid.

High single-threaded performance has the biggest impact on CPU performance in WoW. This game has always been far more CPU intensive and prefers higher clock speed versus higher core counts when compared to the performance gains of a GPU.

BTW, I have observed that a lot of MMORPG titles are indeed heavily CPU-bound.

To run WoW, your computer will require a large amount of CPU resources. Because the performance of an MMO depends more on how fast the processor can handle the game logic, physics, AI, and network communication, rather than how well the graphics card can render the visuals.

Most of these MMOs typically have large and dynamic worlds with many players and objects that need to be updated and synchronized across the network. This requires a lot of computation and data transfer, which puts a high demand on the CPU/processor.

fcar1999ta

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
The game is more CPU-bound than GPU from what I've heard. It also requires a decent amount of system RAM as well. But it sill requires a decent GPU as well.

WoW's performance depends a lot on your graphics card, but it is quite CPU-intensive, particularly with settings such as viewing distance, or when you are in a major city or raid.

High single-threaded performance has the biggest impact on CPU performance in WoW. This game has always been far more CPU intensive and prefers higher clock speed versus higher core counts when compared to the performance gains of a GPU.
I already decided on the GPU, and RAM will be maxed out.

I am trying to decide between Intel 13th Gen i9 and AMD Zen 4 Ryzen 9. AMD has better multi-core, Intel has better single-core and has more cache.