Does X370 Killer SLI/ac support Windows 7?

Jallerman569

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I was wondering if, it can support Windows 7, I'm still using it and I'm still skeptical about Windows 10, it would be silly if the motherboard didn't support it.

Solution
Yes, there are some ways to get and force patches, like this for instance: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/simplix-pack-to-update-live-win7-system-integrate-hotfixes-into-win7-distribution.45005/ but coupled with problems for W7 installation in the first place I don't think it pays just to keep an obsolete system running and soon or later you'll have to switch anyway. See what happened to XP.
If you want W7 you would have to make modifications to it's installation, to inject all necessary drivers before starting installation. I'm still trying to modify W7 for my Asus MB with same chipset, not working for now. There's nothing wrong with W10, works perfectly for me. Even if you succeed, you'd be at disadvantage with it. DirectX 12 being oe of them, it's on W10 only.

Jallerman569

Prominent
May 25, 2017

Ok what modifications do I need to have?

Jallerman569

Prominent
May 25, 2017

Ok maybe I should upgrade to windows ten right now, then create a backup, and transfer my files to the new motherboard (you have to reformat a hard drive when you put in a new motherboard from what I heard)

Jallerman569

Prominent
May 25, 2017

Ok maybe I should upgrade to windows 10 on my PC right now, create a back up, and transfer it to my new motherboard.

Jallerman569

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I guess, the main reason I don't want Windows 10 is privacy concerns, but at the same time, Microsoft said that if a Windows 7 computer has a Ryzen processor, then it wouldn't get Windows Updates (even security ones), which is a load of crap.

Those Updates are not too important because security updates will still be distributed another couple of years until support ends. Those privacy concerns are are also overblown crock . W7 also sends data about any problems encountered. What you would really miss using W7 is drivers updates, ever growing support for programs and games made to work with W10 and DirectX 12. In other words you wouldn't be able to get everything from your new system. Until very lately I was running dual BOOT with W7 and W10 on AMD FX platform and W10 had advantage in performance of 5 - 10%.

Jallerman569

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Are you sure? What about the forced install of apps? And privacy concerns are more than just errors sent to Microsoft, I have heard about apparent bloatware and ads even on the lock screen, and various other things. Things about the Creators Update, and other stuff like that. It really seems very sketchy to me, like it or not.

It all started with Skylake processors and MS said there will be no support for it and anything newer and that includes Ryzen now. It realy has nothing to do with processors themselves but with whole platform they are on.
As "Forced" updates, you should make sure you keep an OS, any OS, fully updated anyway, with latest security scares you can see clearly what happens to un-patched systems.
As far as those privacy and "spying" concerns, if one is so afraid he shouldn't use computers phones and internet and maybe even hide in a basement covered in thin foil. Most of W10 feedback can be turned off anyway. I haven't heard of anybody yet that got damaged by all that "spying" W10 is allegedly doing.

Jallerman569

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Ok but what about the forced applications some people were reporting then, and what about that unofficial patch someone on GitHub did that allowed the updates to go through on Windows 7 computer with those said processors?

Yes, there are some ways to get and force patches, like this for instance: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/simplix-pack-to-update-live-win7-system-integrate-hotfixes-into-win7-distribution.45005/ but coupled with problems for W7 installation in the first place I don't think it pays just to keep an obsolete system running and soon or later you'll have to switch anyway. See what happened to XP.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS