Does XP use 850 Mb of RAM?

Jul 24, 2011
hello, i am baffled.
nice to meet you.

does anyone has some basic knowledge.
i know about computers, but i'm not sure about this one...

maybe someone can help?

if i am running xp my drivers and OS
shouldn't take up 850 Mb of RAM should it?

Solution
Hi James,

Sorry didn't mean to call your computer "old", just meant that it isn't one of the newest generations of pc's

These processes are all fine. They are normal windows services. And yes you should leave those aplications on the startup.

So to finally answer your question yes it is fine. i was hopeful that there might be one application in particular guzzling resources but that is not the case. Enjoy you computer and don't let the memory usage worry you.

Hope I could help out.

Joel
Jul 24, 2011
St0rm_KILL3r, glad to make your acquaintance:lol:

1. but the question that i was asking was not, CAN it run with 850 Mb, but rather,

2. DOES the running of xp "take up" 850 Mb?

hello bignastyid.

i have never seen drivers use so many running services. like 10. when i had the computer configured with let win configure the network settings, i did not have 10 running processes solely because of my drivers. in fact, on ANY computer that i have had that i have seen for running processes, i have NEVER seen 10 running processes...

should there be 10 running processes?

-- James T Kirk
Unknown Mysteries

Joelsjet

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Honestly Dude do some research of your own, Google is your friend :). Xp's minimum requirements is 64Mb but i know myself it all depends on what you've got running, a brand new installation of xp without any programs will probably only use 500MB but my xp that's 5 years old with every program known to man uses around 1.6GB when i have lots of programs running, it all depends but i wouldn't worry about 850mb, perfectly normal

Thnxcya,
Joel

St0rm_KILL3r

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

It takes up ram depending on what you are doing. If you are gaming on xp service pack 3 then it can take up 4-6 gb ram depending on the games requirement. The same applies with other applications like photoshop.

Joelsjet

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Nice to meet you too James :)
Mmm I don't know, it does seem on the high side that's for sure. You could re-install xp to see if it changes anything but i doubt it would. Could you please provide your computer specs so i can get a bit of an idea, if it's a old PC then I would be happy with 850Mb.

Cheers,

Joel

Joelsjet

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hi James,

So just a little mor info and i can give you an answer. Make sure you don't have anything programs open. Then open Windows Task Manager(press Control+Alt+Delete) then go to the Processes Tab. Once there Sort the list by Mem Usage. Now could you tell me the names of the top three memory users and the amount their using. Also looking at the top ten users roughly how much do they use on average. Are they using 10,000K or 100,000K or more, just gives a general idea on the ram used.

After i get this last bit of info I'll be able to give you an answer. More than likely the memory usage is fine for an older computer but after i look i'll know for sure.

Cheers,
Joel

Also: Love the nickname....

Jul 24, 2011
thanks joelsjet, i rather like the name myself. kind of space age n adventure through the galaxy:D

i now have in the "hide when inactive" section of the computer, almost completely hidden, where you might not see it for months...
Osham the Unvanqwished:kaola:

and as far as the running processes: (and by the way, i wouldn't exactly call a duo core 2 gig mhz, 2 gig ram exactly an "older computer" per say, maybe a couple years, but not "old")

because of the newly found development (Osham the Unvanqwished) i cannot go on the internet anymore (safely, so i do not do so). this is what it looks like when i am NOT on the internet -- it is higher when i am.

top 3: (not on internet)
explorer
svhost
taskmgr

top 10: (not on internet)
wmiprvse
smss
lsass

(not on internet): now 430 MB Ram. 423,000 K. 10,500 Handles. all top 10 processes at 1% mem usage (while not on internet)

do i need these in startup?:
runDLL32
rundll32
eeventmanager
ifrmewrk
zcfgsvc
isuspm
itsecmng
nvcpl
nvmctray
nwiz
stsystra
e_s18E

--cAptain KIrk
UNknown

Joelsjet

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hi James,

Sorry didn't mean to call your computer "old", just meant that it isn't one of the newest generations of pc's

These processes are all fine. They are normal windows services. And yes you should leave those aplications on the startup.

So to finally answer your question yes it is fine. i was hopeful that there might be one application in particular guzzling resources but that is not the case. Enjoy you computer and don't let the memory usage worry you.

Hope I could help out.

Joel

Solution