Does your GeForce2 MX causes you the same problem?

G

I hope you can help me with this... I've been reading all messages related to this issue but I still don't have very clear why this video card (Creative Annihilator 2 MX) causes my computer to crash or stop working with some games or some applications like Windows Media Player 7.0... Can some body tell me if this is due to a overheating problem or to the IRQ's?

The folloing is what I have in my system...

AMD Athlon 1 GHz
FIC Motherboard AZ11
128 Mb PC100
20 Gb Maxtor Ultra DMA 7400
Live Platinum 5.1
AGP Annihilator 2 MX Video Card 32 Mb
I Have also 2 case fans but they are working more over the processor instead of the video card...

Does this kind of video card needs a heatsink and fan?

Hope some body can help me... thanks

I also want to point out that I ran the 3DMark2000 and I got a score of 4200 more or less. Is It ok?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Dr_Stereo on 02/01/01 03:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The GeForce 2 MX cards should all be equipped with a heatsink as far as i know. If your card doesn't have that, it is definetely overheating.
I've seen some GF2MX cards overheat once in a while, even though they had heatsinks. Using one of the case fans to cool the graphics card could be a possible solution.

I don't think there's an IRQ problem. If that was the case, your problems would be completely different, including Windows error messages and all sorts of nasty stuff ;-)

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Might not be the Video card!
What is the output of your power unit?

The Athlon is very power demandind, so if your power unit is lower than 300w you should get one with 300w or more!
Some friends of mine had a similar problem , and it was due to the power unit being too weak!

Well, the graph board certainly gives a hand to the processor in sucking the power dry! :)

"I´m Going Down!...Down!Down!Down!Down!Down!" - Joe Satriani in G3 Live<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LordKaos on 02/01/01 01:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Media Player 7 sucks, don't bother using it. It hogs a huge amount of system resources, and is a poor upgrade form 6.4. Mind you it is quite pretty to look at......

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Facial Lifting software! :)
Looks good for a time, then it comes crumbling down!

"I´m Going Down!...Down!Down!Down!Down!Down!" - Joe Satriani in G3 Live

G

Well... thanks for your help...

Last night I was taking a look at the IRQ's at my computer. I also have a network card... of course I don't use it at home only when I get to play games with some friends... the problem is that my video card is using the IRQ 10 and the NIC is also using that IRQ... also the sound card is using the same IRQ that other devices is already using. What is strange to me is that even with that it doesn't says anything about a conflict between the two devices.

I don't think that it is the power supply because I also tought about the power demand when I build the computer and I bought a 300 W power supply but I don't know if it is enough.

Can you tell me if this IRQ thing is normal?

Thanks for the help!!!

Oh also my video card did'n came with a heatsink =(

G

it is highly recomended that your video card not share a IRQ with anything else.

morte

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I am hearing a lot of probs with GeForce 2 MX cards on recent Athlon-based motherboards - from what I can tell, it is perhaps a BIOS update issue, probably AGP interface related? Once the BIOS gets updated, the reported probs (usually hanging/freezing) go away - <font color=red>can anyone else confirm this or otherwise?</font color=red>

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I'm having similar problems... I've got an AMD T-Bird 700 on an MSI K7T Pro m/b, and the GeForce2 MX I recently bought hangs within a few seconds of trying anything using Direct3D. That's using the latest Detonator 3 drivers; if I use the older Detonator 2 drivers, it seems to be able to go longer without freezing.

Also, I bought the card as a replacement for my old TNT1. So I was expecting a fairly high performance increase, but the new card has made virtually no speed difference. I don't suppose having an old Voodoo1 installed has anything to do with this?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Are you sure about that?
Try running some new games , and some strong resolutions !
See if you can´t notice a big difference!

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Well with my TNT, Unreal Tournament hovered around frame rates of about 19-30 (at 800x600x32). The GF2MX was almost exactly the same, until it crashed. I've tried a couple of other things, and there's no noticeable difference.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Well then..." Houston ! We have a problem!"
I think your GF 2MX should making at least 10-20 fps more than what it´s making now!

Try upgrading the drivers!

Wait a minute!? What do you mean by almost exactly the same?

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Just that the frame rate in UT flicks around too quickly to read properly, so I don't know if the GF2MX was *exactly* the same... but it didnt make it go any higher, from what I could see.
Tried latest drivers, again no different, except that it crashes quicker. Hopefully it is a software issue and AMD/VIA/NVidia will bring out a patch to make everything all right.

G

I'm also running a GF2MX but from Hercules. It works fine but made the system hang from time to time while playing UT. I bought more memory and it solved the problem (256Mo PC133 CL2 Crucial).

But then I ran 3Dmarks2000 and according to the scores I got, it seemed that there was a problem. I noticed that my video card shared IRQ 9 with my SBLive! and my NIC. Now people here told me that the low performance of my card might be due to the IRQ sharing stuff and they have told me to uninstall my cards and move the PCI cards (SBLive and NIC) to the very last slots. So I did, leaving the first two PCI slots empty. But upon reinstallation Win2K reassigned the PCI cards to the same IRQ 9. I'm stuck there.
Maybe this will work for you.

- Better go Green than Blue!