Doesn't feel like SSD

Ishutaru

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Hello guys, I am just wondering did you have a similar issue with a laptop. Well its not quite a problem, but I am bothered with it anyway. I'm a PC engineer and from my experience every new laptop with any haswell, broadwell or skylake integrated cpu (the one ending with U, like 4005U and 5200U) is performing extremely slow.

Yeah those are new 15W-7.5W CPUS. I just had to replace a standard HDD with an SSD on DELL machine with i7-4600U, 8gb RAM, and sadly I don't really feel a huge difference. PC still thinks a lot and does tasks only a little faster than before. I have a DELL with i5-2540M that is 35W CPU and a budget 2 year old Kingston 120gb V300 SSD and my PC works much much faster with the same OS compared to the i7-4600U with Crucial BX200.

My old laptop boots up and launches programs like 3x times faster than the most of fresh from the market PCs. Also i had i3-2350M before and it still worked pretty fast.

I wanted to make a point that upgrading to SSD on a machine with integrated CPU (xxxxU) doesn't really give that much speed like it did when CPUs were a separate part from the MOBO (xxxxM).

Crucial BX2000 reviews show a lack of performance.
That said, I am surprised that you did not see a big performance boost over a laptop hard drive.
I have installed Samsung evo in all my family laptops with excellent results.

And... larger is better 240gb at least.

Are there any drivers that might need changing/updating?
Is the sata mode AHCI?

Low Profile Gamer

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Do you mean by "my PC" is your i5-2540M? If yes, then try plugging them both in the power brick then do some speed test comparison(boot up speed). If your old laptop does it faster than your new one, it's probably a bunch of software slowing your new laptop down. I have an i5-6200u on a Windows 10, and an Intel Pentium G2030 on a Windows 7. The i5-6200u feels a lot snappier despite having a 5400RPM hard drive as compared to my G2030 desktop having a 7200RPM.

Ishutaru

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
First of all I overlooked one thing. Fast SSD access time = faster data is uploaded to RAM. From that point RAM and CPU does everything else. So that explains why I feel such a little performance boost.
Second thing is that every new CPU downclocks it so much for the purpose of power saving, and whenever I issue a task it needs some time to get back on its feet.
3) I made a clean UEFI install of Windows 8.1 (not Win10). No bloatware, I don't know why you are talking about bloatware if I stated that I'm installing on a new SSD. Only drivers.
4) Both Dell laptops plugged in with original Dell chargers. I know that using Asus charger with a Dell head doesn't charge the laptop and it performs slower.
5) For max raw processing power the i7-4600U may be better, but for doing office tasks my i5-2540M beats it.
6) You can't change from AHCI in new laptops.. There is no option in bios to go back to IDE/ATA and os can be installed only in UEFI mode.
7) G2030 is nothing compared to i5-6200u. Your pentium can't process data at such speed as the skylake i5 can.

TRENDING THREADS