[SOLVED] doesn't i7-8565U have 4.60GHz boost?

opensingularity

Commendable
Nov 19, 2017
Three months ago I bought an LG Gram 15. System properties says "i7-8565U CPU 1.80GHz 1.99GHz" Is the the 1.99GHz the turbo boost speed? I thought this CPU was supposed to have 4.60GHz in turbo boost.
Thanks,
Paul

Solution
It is technically capable of up to 4.6Ghz. It all depends on the manufacturer, as they can configure the CPU for a 10W TDP through a 25W TDP. All of which will affect frequency. They can also limit Turbo Boost. As the laptop may have insufficient cooling or power delivery for full turbo.

There may be some tweaking you can do. Such as changing Windows' power option to high performance from whatever the factory setting is. Allowing the CPU to hit the maximum draw your computer allows, also maximum cooling performance. Just note high performance will drain the battery faster and make it run hotter. You can also tweak some of the advanced settings for sleep, screen dimming, &c.

Edit: You can use a tool like OCCT to stress test your CPU...
It is technically capable of up to 4.6Ghz. It all depends on the manufacturer, as they can configure the CPU for a 10W TDP through a 25W TDP. All of which will affect frequency. They can also limit Turbo Boost. As the laptop may have insufficient cooling or power delivery for full turbo.

There may be some tweaking you can do. Such as changing Windows' power option to high performance from whatever the factory setting is. Allowing the CPU to hit the maximum draw your computer allows, also maximum cooling performance. Just note high performance will drain the battery faster and make it run hotter. You can also tweak some of the advanced settings for sleep, screen dimming, &c.

Edit: You can use a tool like OCCT to stress test your CPU. Run 15 minute tests going from one to eight threads. Checking the graphs of CPU clock and temp. Then you can get an idea of your temporary peak turbo boost and maximum sustainable turbo boost. From one core to all cores.

Last edited:
Solution

opensingularity

Commendable
Nov 19, 2017
According to the LG website the LG Gram 15 with the i7-8565U is 1.80GHz/4.60GHz. So I'm curious why my System properties says "i7-8565U CPU 1.80GHz 1.99GHz" It doesn't say anything about 4.60GHz

opensingularity

Commendable
Nov 19, 2017
Thanks for help. My Geekbench 5 results is:

Geekbench 5.1.1 Windows x86 (64-bit)
Model: LG Electronics 15Z990-A.AAS7U1
Name: Intel Core i7-8565U
Base Frequency: 2.00 GHz
Maximum Frequency: 4.59 GHz
Memory: 15.80 GB
Single-Core Score: 1152
Multi-Core Score: 3531

Good score. I'm glad the System properties is just cosmetic.

Reactions: velocityg4

TRENDING THREADS