[SOLVED] Doing a mild upgrade from i5 4460. Should I get an i7 4790k or should I go the Ryzen way?

OgiD

Honorable
Apr 22, 2014
My current build, which I did in 2015, is:
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Intel Core i5 4460
G.Skill Ares 2x 4gb DDR3 1600
Radeon RX 480 4gb Sapphire
XFX XXX Edition 650w PSU

I only play CS:GO and BF4, which do run ok for me.

However, editing 4k videos on Davinci Resolve has been quite painful when I have lots of cuts, sfx, transitions etc.

I want to make a mild upgrade to let me go by for the next year, and on 2021 I'll go ahead and make a full build for the next 4 years or so.

I've been reading around and, although at first I was thinking of getting 16gb ram ddr3 and an i7 4790k, some thread brought up the Ryzen 1600 AF, which would bring about the same or better performance than the i7, especially for video editing, which demands a lot of multi cores.

In my country the Ryzen is cheaper than the i7, so at the end I'd be already getting an AM4 mobo and ddr4, thus spending slightly more but to get more modern technology, which would also be easier to sell within an year.

Do you agree with that thought? I'd also like to hear from you about other suggestions, if you have them.

Thanks in advance!

:EDIT: I'll get an Nvidia RTX 2060 or 2060 super later this year aswell (which will be kept on the 2021 build), so the GPU is not an issue right now.

Last edited:
Solution
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Intel Core i5 4460
XFX XXX Edition 650w PSU

However, editing 4k videos on Davinci Resolve has been quite painful when I have lots of cuts, sfx, transitions etc.

I want to make a mild upgrade to let me go by for the next year, and on 2021 I'll go ahead and make a full build for the next 4 years or so.

I've been reading around and, although at first I was thinking of getting 16gb ram ddr3 and an i7 4790k, some thread brought up the Ryzen 1600 AF, which would bring about the same or better performance than the i7, especially for video editing, which demands a...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
Intel Core i5 4460
XFX XXX Edition 650w PSU

I've been reading around and, although at first I was thinking of getting 16gb ram ddr3 and an i7 4790k, some thread brought up the Ryzen 1600 AF, which would bring about the same or better performance than the i7, especially for video editing, which demands a lot of multi cores.

In my country the Ryzen is cheaper than the i7, so at the end I'd be already getting an AM4 mobo and ddr4, thus spending slightly more but to get more modern technology, which would also be easier to sell within an year.

Do you agree with that thought? I'd also like to hear from you about other suggestions, if you have them.

Thanks in advance!

:EDIT: I'll get an Nvidia RTX 2060 or 2060 super later this year aswell (which will be kept on the 2021 build), so the GPU is not an issue right now.

If you can't get the i7 cheaper than a Ryzen, it doesn't make much sense to get the i7 at this point. It's hard to dump any more money in things that won't help you in the future, like DDR3 RAM. With a 1600 AF, if you had more money in a year, you could put in a 3900x or something.

Reactions: OgiD
Solution
Since your long term move is Ryzen, it definitely won't hurt to start onto that platform now. I would get a solid motherboard so then when the time comes all you have to do is pick up a used processor--and those will probably flood the market once the next gen is here in 4yrs.

Buying another 2x4gb RAM might have issues if you try mixing it with your current RAM. Buying 2x8gb just seems like a bad buy when within a year you will need to upgrade to DDR4. Personally I’d not put any more money into the current platform and save it for an upgrade to a modern platform.

OgiD

Honorable
Apr 22, 2014
Since your long term move is Ryzen, it definitely won't hurt to start onto that platform now. I would get a solid motherboard so then when the time comes all you have to do is pick up a used processor--and those will probably flood the market once the next gen is here in 4yrs.

On that subject (although the main discussion is the CPU), do you think Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming will be a good choice? No or very little overclocking might be done.