Doing my first gaming PC build.

crazylegs830

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I'm planning on building my own PC primarily for gaming, but want to be very cautious while selecting parts. I want to be able to play all of these new games especially since E3 is here. These are the parts I have planned:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or if it is too much information.

Solution
Hi,
I see that you dont have a case so you probably have one, but be careful if its an old one, because most of the old cases dosnt support a ATX motherboards. You made a huge mistake by going with an 4670 and a Z87 chipset motherboard, since the Z87/Z97 chipset motherboard are overclockable and can handle huge overclocking and you are going with 4670 and not a K Intel CPU. The K CPU series are unlocked and are overclockable. You can save some money by going with an H87 chipset motherboard and with the saved money try to upgrade to a 770 graphics card. If you cant go with a 760, then upgrade the ram to 2x4 GB DDR3 RAM since with that one stick you are losing dual channel. I know that the 2x4 are a little bit more expensive but they are...
Hi,
I see that you dont have a case so you probably have one, but be careful if its an old one, because most of the old cases dosnt support a ATX motherboards. You made a huge mistake by going with an 4670 and a Z87 chipset motherboard, since the Z87/Z97 chipset motherboard are overclockable and can handle huge overclocking and you are going with 4670 and not a K Intel CPU. The K CPU series are unlocked and are overclockable. You can save some money by going with an H87 chipset motherboard and with the saved money try to upgrade to a 770 graphics card. If you cant go with a 760, then upgrade the ram to 2x4 GB DDR3 RAM since with that one stick you are losing dual channel. I know that the 2x4 are a little bit more expensive but they are totaly worth it. Also upgrade your PSU to the Antec Gaming Series ( or so ) PSUs. Those upgrades may cost a bit more but they are totaly worth it.
^^ Edit : I forgot to mention that it will be a lot of better if you get a SSD too. You will get faster boot and a good example for cheap but good SSD is the Samsung EVO 120/250GB.

Solution

crazylegs830

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks for the answer very, very informative. I must have missed adding my case. I changed my motherboard, like you said to an H87 chipset. I also switched to the RAM you suggested. What I have now:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Thanks for the great answer. Let me know if this setup is good.

It looks great now! I dont thing you are missing something, but you can get a normal 200R and build your own window. It would be a lot of cheaper. Also if you save a little bit more money and get a 770 you will get a lot of better performance and will last probably longer. If you get a 770 you may want to overclock it a little bit with MSI Afterburner. Also if i helped dont forget to pick a solution.