[SOLVED] Doing Remote Desktop

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Hello. Looking to do Remote Desktop to offer IT services. I'm small business just starting have A+ so wonder best option for low cost software to service pc and Macs.

I have tried TeamViewer but it seems that software has issues.

Solution
You are going to have issues making actual remote desktop work. First it is not really secure so I would never run it over the internet. Next any of your customers are going to have to setup port forwarding and have public ip addresses for this to work. Things like team viewer use meetme type companies to get past the problems of NAT and private ip. .....Then again you should already know this if you are claiming to be a actual network technician this is very very basic stuff.
You are going to have issues making actual remote desktop work. First it is not really secure so I would never run it over the internet. Next any of your customers are going to have to setup port forwarding and have public ip addresses for this to work. Things like team viewer use meetme type companies to get past the problems of NAT and private ip. .....Then again you should already know this if you are claiming to be a actual network technician this is very very basic stuff.

Solution

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
I am an end user tech, not network, that is why I am asking. Seems odd to have input here of people opposed to Remote Desktop for support. Have been the incoming side many times (Apple, Microsoft, and others). Thank you for the input.

Grace and peace,
Gary

USAFRet

Titan
I am an end user tech, not network, that is why I am asking. Seems odd to have input here of people opposed to Remote Desktop for support. Have been the incoming side many times (Apple, Microsoft, and others). Thank you for the input.

Grace and peace,
Gary
Within Windows, Remote Desktop Protocol (AKA Remote Desktop Connection) is widely vulnerable across the internet.
Should only be used inside of a secure LAN.
Like here: https://www.axios.com/fortune-500-e...ity-280b7ae1-95fb-489d-a5b4-8c1d222712b5.html

A teeny bit of searching leads to multiple similar reports over the last decade or two.

I certainly would not enable that for outside use.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
There is a difference between people asking for help but not understanding the ramifications of the 'support help' being provided or knowing how to determine one without vulnerabilities vs. one with them.

If you are going to be doing legitimate desktop support for users who are not friends and family and whom are also paying you for the support, you are really going to need a strong understanding of security protocols, ethics protocols and documentation to help users of any technical understanding so you can cover your business' legalities.

Speaking of legalities - having an attorney consult you on your business plan and expectations should also be high on your to-do list.