[SOLVED] Dolby and DTS not passing through TV to AVR

Apr 25, 2020
Hi,

So im new to these forums. Im sure this topic has been brought up but i am unable to find a solution to my problem.
So ill start with my setup.

PC to TV via HDMI
GPU is EVGA 1660ti
TV is TCL 55s421-ca

TV to AVR via HDMI using ARC
AVR is LG bh7530

Here is the problem. I cannot get the Dolby or DTS signals from GPU to passthrough the TV to AVR.
According to TV specs, it has the passthrough capabilities. The PC is only showing 2 channels supported from the Audio Device (TV).
Now i have heard alot about EDID and how the TV may not be showing it is capable of 5.1 and DTS.
The thing is, my TV is 4K but my AVR (Home Theater System) is not 4K.

I can get the DTS and 5.1 to work great if i just plug the HDMI from PC directly to the HDMI in on the receiver but then i lose my 4k image.
So my question is, is there anything i can do to get the PC to display 4K video on the TV and somehow have the audio sent to my receiver OR
make that actual passthrough work as the TV clearly states it can.

Thank you kindly for any and all help on this matter.

PS: Please dont just say " Buy a 4k AVR". A grown man crying is not a good thing lol

Solution
See here and check towards the bottom for Issues with 5.1 and check the TV list link. Not sure what year your TV was released.

I'm like you man, i have a 4k TV and not replacing my Yamaha 1080p anytime soon. But don't play my PC on it though.

Does your GPU have multiple HDMI ports? If it does, could run two cables if you can't workout this ARC 5.1 out. Or if only one HDMI port, Displayport (If you got) to HDMI 2 by Club3D are available.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See here and check towards the bottom for Issues with 5.1 and check the TV list link. Not sure what year your TV was released.

I'm like you man, i have a 4k TV and not replacing my Yamaha 1080p anytime soon. But don't play my PC on it though.

Does your GPU have multiple HDMI ports? If it does, could run two cables if you can't workout this ARC 5.1 out. Or if only one HDMI port, Displayport (If you got) to HDMI 2 by Club3D are available.

Solution
Apr 25, 2020

If i run 2 cables from the GPU ( 1 to the TV for Video and another to AVR for audio) the PC sees the AVR as a possible audio device BUT also as a video device and wants to extend my displays. This causes my mouse to want to go off-screen, which is SUPER annoying. And when telling it to only show desktop on the default monitor, the connection to the AVR is lost as an audio device.

Im afraid this isnt a viable solution for me.

Apr 25, 2020
Have you tried seeing what it looks like if you went through the AVR? Because 1080p upscales well on 4k TVs. Ya never know, might not see any different.

When i do that, i cant even select 4K as a resolution on the PC so regardless, its no good.
And the upscaling is garbage lol. Especially when the refresh rate of the TV is 120hz. The movement is sooooo bad.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can you select 120Hz in Windows on this TV can you? Thats good to know.

Your thread reminded me of a previous discussion. His setup is different but hopefully the same deal with multiple displays helps. Little bit to go through, can skip most of it talking about other stuff but hoping custom resolution utility helps you as well.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ues-msi-radeon-5700-xt.3592788/#post-21683305

Not exactly sure what he did in the program though.